Just finished Worst Enemy by John Arquilla - interesting read, but unrealistic.

Arquilla's main points in the book:

- Army goes from brigade combat teams to battalion size "swarming" structure, deactivate the 82nd, Army active strength 100,000 with a much larger reserve and NG.

- Navy gets rid of its carriers and has 1,000 ships that are networked and can swarm an enemy. Navy has strength of 100,000 and Marine Corps drops to 30,000.

- Air Force goes away from strategic bombing to concentrating on CAS. USAF does not militarize space, use of blimps and end strength of 100,000 with a larger reserve.

- use of non-lethal weapons when possible.

- do good works around the world to better our image.

- repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell, but do not place openly gay service members in some units (probably talkin about the infantry, etc)

- bring back the draft

I don't know much about the arthor other then he worked for the Rand Corporation and was an advisor to Donald Rumsfeld. I find his ideas interesting, but wishful thinking. I would think a division of paratroopers would be a great swarming force - seem to work on D-day. I agree with downsizing the active military and increasing the size of the reserves and NG. I'm open to a draft, but for the Guard. Keep Don't Ask, Don't Tell just the way it is.