Quote Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
This is a great thread and one of the most challenging, and relevant I have come across...

In regards to CPT Semrau, would his offence have been the same had he:

done nothing and just let him expire in his own time i.e. an act of omission?

rendered first aid, prolonging the Taliban's life and pain in the knowledge that he would die anyway?

rendered first aid but OD'd the PW on morphine, thus also wasting an asset he or his troops might need later? Ditto for caring for him and calling in a casevac in accordance with the letter of the 'law'?

double-tapped him on his way past as a potential threat?

In at least two of those options, one might argue that the pain and suffering of the wounded Taliban would not only have been greater but that the Canadian soldiers would have known that to be the case. Perhaps there lies the rub between a moral offence and a legal one?
As a young man I faced these type of decisions too often. There must be hundreds of thousands if not millions since then who have been in the same position.

At the time I did not think much about it. I understand that there are many out there whose consciences worry them to a greater or lesser extent over the things they did or may have allowed to happen. Looking back it now seems bizarre that I was asked on occasion whether or not someone could be put out of his misery. As if I had that authority.

One thing for sure is that Semrau if he had his time over again would not do what he did. And I guess his prosecution is more to send a message to the rank and file of the Canadian army than to crucify Semrau.

The line is often blurred and the areas are often shades of grey.

How much things have changed over the past 30-40 years I don't know but I would suggest that each army should deal fairly and unequivocally with such matters to prevent the outside law fraternity getting involved and forcing the issue. Cover ups and white-washes are what keeps the door open for the prosecutors who want to make a name for themselves at the expense of the respective army.

1. make it clear to all what the "laws" are.
2. deal effectively with all and any infractions.

... doing this will keep the vultures at bay!