Thread: Darpa Wants Remote Controls to Master Troop Minds

Default Darpa Wants Remote Controls to Master Troop Minds

Why train when you can just attach puppet strings?
    What a potentially extraordinarily bad idea -

The Pentagon’s blue-sky research arm wants to trick out troops’ brains, from the areas that regulate alertness and cognition to pain treatment and psychiatric well-being. And the scientists want to do it all from the outside in — with a gadget installed inside the troops’ helmets. “Remote Control of Brain Activity Using Ultrasound,” the Defense Department’s Armed with Science blog promises.

It’s the latest out-there project in the military’s growing arsenal of brain-based research. In recent months alone, the Pentagon’s funded projects to optimize troop’s minds, prevent injuries and even preemptively assess cognitive ability and vulnerability to traumatic stress. Now, Darpa’s funding one lab that’s trying to do it all — from boosting troop smarts to preventing traumatic brain injuries.
    Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...#ixzz0zcA7LZV2
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Thumbs up While I see and agree with some of your concern

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    Why train when you can just attach puppet strings?
    What a potentially extraordinarily bad idea -

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...#ixzz0zcA7LZV2
    Some of the stuff they talk about seems to very interesting and possibly game changing if in no other way then to be able to do with signals to the brain to affect messaging/signals what something like the shots for someone who's just been exposed to some sort of chemical agent.

Now if someone goes trying to hook up some kinda remote control to me for anything more than that it might be time to start investing in aluminum foil again
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    Now if someone goes trying to hook up some kinda remote control to me for anything more than that it might be time to start investing in aluminum foil again
    You might want to pick up a few more rolls, after I put this in historical perspective : there are governors installed on the final drives of M1 tanks, to keep them from going 'too fast'. How long do you think it took Joe to disconnect those limiters?

Now on the benign side of this issue, how long would it be before a Brainwave Control Team decided to have fun with the Joes on FTX? eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS9Pm4HpEI
    Last edited by AdamG; 09-16-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default Darpa

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency funds advanced research projects, but it does not conduct development programs. If its research appears to be promising for a new military system only then is a requirements document written for the new product and a funded development program begun by one of the DoD or service R&D commands. Because DARPA only sponsors research studies, it's premature to cry wolf over what their projects portend for the future.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    You might want to pick up a few more rolls, after I put this in historical perspective : there are governors installed on the final drives of M1 tanks, to keep them from going 'too fast'. How long do you think it took Joe to disconnect those limiters?
    ill bet a lot less time then it took to install them
    As for the rolls i think ill be ok with what i have in stock, enough for baked tators on the grill. DARPA's always seemed kinda cool ,they bring a lot of stuff to the imagination station and help others work on it. I think ill hold off any hat molding for now
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur