Thread: Sep 2010 TRADOC Senior Leader's Conference

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sep 2010 TRADOC Senior Leader's Conference

I’ll be attending the Sep 2010 TSLC as part of General Dempsey’s staff. Although I’m a planner in the Commander’s Planning Group, I will be there as a group facilitator and observer. The theme for the TSLC will be: An Army in Transition – Preparing our Army for the future in an era of persistent conflict. Topics will include the Army’s conceptual foundation, warfighting function concepts, Leader development and an overview of the profession of arms. These topics have long range effects on the future of our Army. The new Army Capstone Concept and Operating Concept will have cascading effects throughout the DOTMLPF realm.
    Since Adam Bonifant has moved on to other things, Bill Jakola and I intend to provide the forum live updates as salient points emerge from the conference. I hope to provide the SWJ members information that will generate discussion within the larger military community

If anyone wants to know more your welcome to ping me or Bill Jakola.

v/r
    Jason Thomas

Council Member

Default Any live coverage from TSLC Sep 2010?

Jason - Great to see you moved up to TRADOC staff and your continued involvement with GEN Dempsey's initiatives.

It was interesting to see the integration of live blogging and coverage from the Small Wars Journal during last year's TSLC. Hopefully that will continue this year. I look forward to following it.

Bob

Default Thanks

Roger Bob,
    We intend to cover live here on the forum as things shake out of the conference.

Jason

Default Objectives/Deliverables

Jason and/or Bill,
    having spent time in the basement across the street from the Chamberlain... I'm curious... what are the objectives/deliverables of the TSLC? I know the purpose of the TSLC in general, and you've kindly informed us of the theme... but beyond the bumper sticker... what is going in outcomes CG, TRADOC is looking to accomplished beyond a bogsat?

Signed,
    A veteran of TRADOC sojourns to Opryland
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Hacksaw,

Sorry I'm slow to respond. I'm pulling on oars right now. In answer to your question these are the four outcomes that the CG is trying to take away from the TSLC:

Discuss and study historical examples that demonstrate similar challenges and opportunities that we are confronting today.

Establish a common understanding of our Army’s conceptual foundation and how it will drive and inform our core competencies within TRADOC.

Identify and discuss our Warfighting Functional Concepts’ baseline capabilities and first order gaps/redundancies derived from the Army Operating Concept.

Conduct a substantive review and discuss what 9 years of war and modularity have done to our professional ethic.

All of these are closely linked and are designed to generate discussion on the future of our Army as an organization in a competitive security environment.

Hope this answers the mail. If not let me know. I'm happy to keep up the dialogue.

Jason

Default Thanks for the response...

Understand the rowing requirement...
    Mostly answered my question... let me see if I can interpret and you can confirm or deny...

1. Identify relevant historical examples/vignettes that TRADOC should consider incorporating/using to inform training, leader development and doctrine development (I guess that means an annotated list)?

2. A white paper/info paper that crosswalks key themes of the Army Operating Concept into WfF concepts and subsequently into TRADOC Core Competencies as defined by TR 10-5?

3. Follow-on to #2, maybe an EXSUM of conversations that captures gaps and redundancies identified in the earlier discussion, for use / response from the appropriate CoE/CDID that either confirms or disputes the TSLC findings?

4. White Paper describing situation, challenges, proposed solutions with proposed leads, recommended taskings for proposed leads to respond back to CG TRADOC/the next TSLC?

I suggest the above only because unless products are produced, taskings assigned, progressed tracked, etc etc... a TSLC becomes a BOGSAT (which has value in terms of CG, TRADOC clarifying his intent to subordinate School/Center leaders, building the team, etc) and a golf outing...

Live well and row brother
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4