Interesting paper and you raise points that have been debated before. The critical decison that has to drive FAO training is the intended role of the FAO. I maintain it is strategic scout and that the only way to do that is focus on the region, whether deployed or in a CONUS assignment.

Operational relevancy is driven by that competency. We used to hear that FAOs gained credibility by the fact that they commanded a battalion. Damn few commanded and most of the ones who did were useless as FAOs. They had not developed the sensing for their region to make them competent FAOs. There are exceptions of course; Old Eagle is one.

Language competency is always an issue and one we are not likely to completely fix. I will tell you that State and CIA have not fixed it either, regardless of what those agencies claim.

Final thought on relevancy and competency; where the Army could make FAOs more relevant at the senior officer level is make sure that FAOs are included in the resident war college classes. We are the only element in the Army that deals with strategy and regional issues as our central focus. We are also the most experienced hands in the interagency game. Teaching future senior leaders by teaming them with FAOs would help educate that leadership.

Some will get it. Some won't. I was fortunate in 2009 to serve as a POLAD to one who understood.

Best regards,

Tom