There is no magic cookie cutter... I think we failed by not recognizing (and taking advantage of) the individual FAO talents.

Having had eight FAOs as SAO/DAO bosses from 1985 to 1997 (two of which are here), I guess my opinion counts for something like “qualified to speak on the subject”.

Much like John opined, sustaining language abilities is up to the soldier and the Army’s pro-pay was intended as little more than an incentive to stay proficient.

Tom made me speak to him in French and Old Eagle would brush up on his German in Estonia. Then there were the other five or six FAOs that could have gave a sierra in spite of being in a peaceful country under ideal conditions to learn and maintain their language and cultural aptitude.

As far as dual tracking goes, you couldn’t ask for a better combination in an officer when the chips are down. Tom would out-think the DC think tank during a full-blown refugee crisis before they had their morning coffee . He was also like having a verbal version of Africa Wikipedia around 24/7. And, even though Old Eagle didn’t speak 10 words in Estonian he always outguessed them while planning Security Assistance and ship visits from 50 miles across the pond. What really got me was his “B’s Brain” (a capitulation) that one could track his every move, past and present, in his absence or untimely demise

Regards, Stan