IMLO-
The debate over allowing openly gay men and women into the military is a lot of political theatre. I have to agree with LTG Bostick in that eventually openly G&L people will be allowed to enlist. It will happen as society gets more progressive. Also leaders who do resist this will be viewed under the same lamp as racism.
Amazingly to me, is that it is still under debate. The military has been on the leading edge of integration for the country, enlisting blacks and women into roles they could not play in the civilian arena well before the surrounding society. I can only speak from my tiny corner of the battalion, but in my years I have served with gays and lesbians. As far as the impact they had on morale it was nil. If they were good soldiers they did fine, if they could not carry their ruck so to speak, they were viewed like any other slacker. Their sexual preference did not impact their treatment, from what I saw, in the least. When asked by my civilian friends and acquaintances if I agree with allowing openly G&L people to enlist I say yes I agree. If they are willing to soldier and do a good job then we need them. If they can effectively lead and train subordinates, then by all means.
However the rub lays in perceptions. When openly G&L people serve, and it will be when not if, how they are treated will be under a microscope. The military is a big mess of people, and interactions are varied and never clear cut. Was SPEC. Smith given extra duty every day for a week because the PSG does not like homosexuals, or was it because SPEC. Smith has been late to formation every day the week prior. Different people will view things according to the filter they have on the world. The key will be how the military does in the limelight of this social integration. I believe after all this happens it will be pretty well scrutinized until the media gets tired of it and then fizzle out to be no big deal.
I think the current DREAM initiative being considered in congress will have a larger impact.