In light of the major discussion on women in combat arms we have gotten into a rather deep discussion on the PT standard. In order to try and stay focused on the issues of women in combat arms (which PT does have some basis). I am starting this thread to dig deeper into the pt issue (which I believe is a create topic as all kinds of news things are coming up. Marines=CFT)?

Some things that have come up:
1. Kipping vs. Non-Kipping Pullups?
2. Setting the standard to the lowest service member?
3. Different standards for men and women?
4. Different standards for different MOSs?
5. Should the PT "standard" be tied directly to what you would expect of someone in combat?

Many many more avenues along which to take this topic. I believe that the PT standard should be something that is functional fitness and would evaluate the abilities of a service member based off of the expectations that the average person would need to accomplish in combat. My thoughts....less than a mile run, some sort of pulling yourself up or climbing, lifting items from the ground over head, and just in general not with our PT standard but we need some sort of stretching /yoga/trigger point type therapy that can help reduce injury more from gear, long drives and just impact from PT and combat.

Thoughts......