Purple,
I think it's important to note that this discussion seems to be focused more on people's "opinions" rather than on factual data. The OP him/herself stated an opinion. Thus, opinions in response to the OP's opinion are completely expected and not to be squashed (if you want a healthy dialogue).

In my opinion, the ability to write well becomes more important as one moves up the ranks. As a Major, Yukon will be required to write differently and to a different target audience than what he/she did at the company level.

This ability to write will become even more critical as Yukon becomes a LTC or even Col (and beyond).

Yukon may already be an outstanding writer, in which case the ILE curriculum may seem irrelevant or worthless to him/her. This then becomes a matter of perspective. Other students may not be as fortunate. They may benefit more from the writing program than Yukon does.

If this is the case (and I suspect it may be), then Yukon should ask the faculty what he/she can do to help the others in his/her small group.

My opinion....