To all, I thank you for the healthy debate, dialogue and opinions offered in response to the question I posed in my original post.

To clarify my position, I am a current student of ILE-CC at Ft Belvoir, VA, Staff Group 30-A. In keeping with the CAC Command Policy #19-08, section 5c. (attribution), users may view my updated "about me" section of my profile, as desired.

Blackhorse, agree with your assessment of the importance of writing skills. I am too modest to classify myself as an outstanding writer, but I can say that I am very comfortable with my written communications skills. My grades in this course to date would suggest that I am not in the "needs improvement" crowd. With that said, I would be more than happy to assist a fellow student in need of writing assistance. The current structure of the course just doesn't allow for that to happen. I, as with all of my classmates, am obliged to rush out of the classroom and get through a myriad of readings, followed by several writing assignments. It's every man/woman for him or herself.

Van, your recommendation most closely mirrors the discussion of a possible solution I had with a very dear friend and colleague. If it were somehow possible to separate strong writers from not so strong writers at the beginning of the course, the staff could focus efforts on those needing most improvement. This would even allow for more peer interaction in the form of classmate assistance referenced above. The same friend forced me to rethink my original proposal of graduate degree required for promotion to LTC due to the alleged proliferation of "diploma mill" master's degrees out there. I still subscribe to the idea though; students would still be required to write, or be forced to make an unethical decision to plagiarize and risk the consequence of being caught. I have faith in my fellow field grade officers who would be pursuing that course of action as required career progression.

One last thought. This whole idea stems from my frustration at the lack of emphasis on peer to peer classroom interaction, which in my opinion is the result of an over emphasis on written communication evaluation. I am in a staff group with a handful of strategic intel officers, a lawyer, a CA guy, a comms dude, an Arab speaking FAO, a Catholic priest, a couple of IO bubbas, an acquisition corps man and an ORSA man. As an Infantry guy, I could gain a little insight from these folks, and could maybe offer up a little something from my perspective to them. Not saying we don't get a little time for that, just saying I think we could use more.

I'm out. I've met my blog requirement for this course (good requirement in my opinion). Time to tackle the C400 OP Torch Exam, and its five written requirements. Just what the doctor ordered for a Saturday afternoon of a long holiday weekend. Sure beats something like a team building event with classmates who aren't travelling...but who has time for that? (insert wink and smile) To all who've heard my cries, and offered your insights, again I thank you.