Thread: Columnist-Europe's Identity Crisis Fuels Rising Anti-Muslim Sentiment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Domestic Policy is COIN.
    That's something which moderators certainly don't want me to mention here. Let's just say I rate the truth content at 0%.

By the way, can someone explain this "identity crisis" thing to me? I'm European and I have no clue what identity crisis is meant.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    That's something which moderators certainly don't want me to mention here. Let's just say I rate the truth content at 0%.
    I think the idea is that good domestic policy keeps people happy, and happy people don't insurge, so domestic policy is preventive COIN. Of course keeping everybody happy in a multicultural society isn't always easy, and the desire for tolerance in some European societies is and will continue to be tested by the question of how much intolerance they are prepared to tolerate in the name of tolerance.

That's probably what kings thought, but it's entirely unacceptable thinking for a democratically elected head of government.

That's probably what kings thought, but it's entirely unacceptable thinking for a democratically elected head of government.
    I think you are reading it unnecessarily harshly.

Actually, I have a similar point of view, but a different nuanced reading of it.

The purpose for a free and democratic republican government (not the mob rule of so-called "democracy") is to foster an intentional and perpetual state of Stage 1 revolution as a way to ensure stability of a nation-state as well as to provide for flexibility and allow a government to change to suit conditions.

OK; I'll tell you from where I come:

COIN is about the suppression of extreme discontent in a country. One of the worst aspects of it is that OUR governments learn how to violently suppress opposition.
    Just like OUR governments learn how to do tolerated domestic espionage, domestic surveillance, building databases about citizens and kidnapping/arresting without proper procedure in general in the GWOT.

These two aspects are more dangerous to freedom and prosperity of the West than all those Islamic terrorists combined.

Now I came into contact with someone who had even mentally crossed the Rubicon, thinking of COIN in the domestic context.

120mm, I was extremely moderate in my reply. NOW I'll be honest:
    That kind of idea ("domestic policy is COIN" is more dangerous than the worst hate propaganda from whatever crazy Imam you can find.
    I am 100% opposed to this.
    Nobody must be allowed cross the Rubicon without fierce and overwhelming opposition.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

COIN is about the suppression of extreme discontent in a country. One of the worst aspects of it is that OUR governments learn how to violently suppress opposition.
    Just like OUR governments learn how to do tolerated domestic espionage, domestic surveillance, building databases about citizens and kidnapping/arresting without proper procedure in general in the GWOT...

120mm, I was extremely moderate in my reply. NOW I'll be honest:
    That kind of idea ("domestic policy is COIN" is more dangerous than the worst hate propaganda from whatever crazy Imam you can find.
    I am 100% opposed to this.
    Nobody must be allowed cross the Rubicon without fierce and overwhelming opposition.
    I think you're just using different definitions of COIN: you're assuming suppression, they're assuming prevention. If you govern well and prevent insurgency, there's no need to suppress it with all those nasty tactics, as there's nothing to suppress.

COIN is not about the prevention of an insurgency, but about countering it.

Insurgency and counterinsurgency (COIN) are complex subsets of warfare.
    FM you-know-which-one

Politicians at home must not think in COIN terms. That would equal thinking about suppressing citizen's discontent. It's about suppression.
    NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I'll face anyone who uses the term "COIN" inflationary and thus helps to make it appear acceptable in a domestic environment, too.

COIN is too dangerous for domestic freedom and democracy.
    It MUST NOT PASS THE RUBICON.