Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
This article was pretty lame, and it did not have any supporting facts, it simply aired a few gripes, and most of the gripes are from guys on the sidelines, like a former SEAL who couldn't tell blank from live ammo during a training mission (I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish Marsinko's book after that).
The issue isn't misuse (although it will happen on occassion), it is operations tempo, so the author missed the main point. Once deployed you're deployed and guys want to do worthwhile work while they're deployed. In some locations guys had to search for missions, while in others they were begging for a break. I don't think it was different in past wars.
I yet again find myself in agreement with Mr Moore (mental to note to self to avoid him, and Ken White, in the shower block, lest folks talk! )

... but to be serious.

My personal experience of modern UK and US SF is that they are deeply "Political". The instinct to protect turf, budgets, mission and manpower seem to have taken on a life of their own, and I would suggest that the people who ensure that SF is most misused is the SF themselves.

The other issue is that SF is a vastly emotional subject, lead on by Special Ops Wannabe's, (writers, journalists, politicians and now bloggers) 99% who seek reflected glory by advocating the SF position, regardless of rhyme of reason.