Thread: Misusing Special-Warfare Assets

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just don't see it... I don't know how I would communicate this but I guess I just personally feel that you start with the base line, the foundation, the sailor in this instance. From there you add a combination of tools to that sailor's toolbox (one of that very well may be BUDs and beyond) which gives him an additional resource he, but more importantly, the Navy didn't have before. At the end it is another method that supplements the basic sailor skills. Look at it like this, if every SOF unit were (truly) successful in their missions they would put themselves out of work and end up doing the very things they complain about anyways. One of the things about being high speed, low drag is sometimes you have to come back down to earth and deal with the rest of the branch.

Now if there are missions for these guys and they aren't being employed because some commander would rather sweep berms for mortar rounds than raid the house of the #3 guy on your list (and "risk" assets unnecessarily) THEN I HAVE A BEEF. There is no sense training these guys if you are not going to use them when the time comes and to be perfectly candid if you aren't sure how to employ your new SOF unit... ask them. I am sure the breed comes standard. They will tell, at great length and in great detail everything they can do for you.

There is a very real danger IMHO to having any troops anywhere who are "too good" for something. Do we want SEALs or Force guys picking up trash or manning VCPs? No. But if all of the other (thousands) of boxes are checked off, (From DA all the way down to meet and greets) then that is what you do... period.

Having said all of that, in today's reality I find it very hard to believe that anyone, in any capacity of SOCOM, will be out of work for long so... here's to work!
    Last edited by Ender; 04-07-2007 at 04:49 AM.