Thread: Misusing Special-Warfare Assets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Weak Article

This article was pretty lame, and it did not have any supporting facts, it simply aired a few gripes, and most of the gripes are from guys on the sidelines, like a former SEAL who couldn't tell blank from live ammo during a training mission (I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish Marsinko's book after that).
    The issue isn't misuse (although it will happen on occassion), it is operations tempo, so the author missed the main point. Once deployed you're deployed and guys want to do worthwhile work while they're deployed. In some locations guys had to search for missions, while in others they were begging for a break. I don't think it was different in past wars.

Back to the issue, unlike Afghanistan in 2001/2002 when SOF and conventional forces were still feeling each out, they now work together much better, with some hiccups in places based on personalties, so comments like SOF should never support conventional forces are way off the mark.

What is really nice about our relationship with conventional forces is when the crap hits the fan, and there is a fellow American fighting man outside the wire, everyone will come running to help. SOF helps conventional forces and vice versa, so if they ask for help, we generally try to support them in a SOF appropriate manner. pmcr hit the nail on the head with his comments.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    This article was pretty lame, and it did not have any supporting facts, it simply aired a few gripes, and most of the gripes are from guys on the sidelines, like a former SEAL who couldn't tell blank from live ammo during a training mission (I'm sorry, but I couldn't finish Marsinko's book after that).
    The issue isn't misuse (although it will happen on occassion), it is operations tempo, so the author missed the main point. Once deployed you're deployed and guys want to do worthwhile work while they're deployed. In some locations guys had to search for missions, while in others they were begging for a break. I don't think it was different in past wars.
    I yet again find myself in agreement with Mr Moore (mental to note to self to avoid him, and Ken White, in the shower block, lest folks talk! )

... but to be serious.

My personal experience of modern UK and US SF is that they are deeply "Political". The instinct to protect turf, budgets, mission and manpower seem to have taken on a life of their own, and I would suggest that the people who ensure that SF is most misused is the SF themselves.

The other issue is that SF is a vastly emotional subject, lead on by Special Ops Wannabe's, (writers, journalists, politicians and now bloggers) 99% who seek reflected glory by advocating the SF position, regardless of rhyme of reason.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Sycophantic agreement follows:

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    The other issue is that SF is a vastly emotional subject, lead on by Special Ops Wannabe's, (writers, journalists, politicians and now bloggers) 99% who seek reflected glory by advocating the SF position, regardless of rhyme of reason.
    Particularly with that and with Bill...

As for this:
    I yet again find myself in agreement with Mr Moore (mental to note to self to avoid him, and Ken White, in the shower block, lest folks talk! )
    No!, I refuse to admit it's over!!!

Of course, it could be less sycophancy or just fancy (verb); rather just the knowledge that old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill every time...