Thread: The Army: A Profession of Arms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am reopening an old thread because this is as close to the subject that I was interested in that I could find. Recent events in Iraq have brought out two types of news articles lately. They are the “Soldier’s worry about Iraq’s potential failure” or “Soldiers worry that they fought for nothing” type or the earlier “U.S. Soldiers died in vein” type. Here is an excerpt of a “fought-for-nothing” article:
    Matt McGuire, a former Fort Bragg soldier, was among the first inside Iraq in 2003, and he was deployed there a second time two years later. He said many veterans are "sick and disgusted" to see the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria group quickly overrun much of Iraq.
    "I think it's almost expected because we pulled out early, in my opinion, before the country was really stable," McGuire said Wednesday.
    http://www.wral.com/veterans-of-iraq...hing/13745667/

These articles seem to bother me because they seem to be an affront on the idea of a Soldier being a professional. The problem I am having is I can’t articulate why. I know that, in this case, like the case of the Soldiers who came forward to say Bergdahl was a deserter, the Soldier is being used for political fodder. They are being used in order to invoke the ideal of the “Soldier” as a tool to forward a political agenda.

Despite what the Soldier’s Creed says we are not Professional Soldiers in the purer sense of the term – we are not mercenaries. U.S. Soldiers are not Professional Solders for Hire. We fight only for what our national leaders tell us to fight for.

Nor, would it seem, that we are professionals in terms of any oath of confidentiality with those leaders, except where we are making direct criticism while still in uniform. Still, there seems to be something oddly disturbing about Soldiers making these politically driven statements. It’s like the Revolt of the Generals.

In post #6 of this thread Bob’s World made the following observation:
    Perhaps part of our current problem are our efforts to overly expand the "profession" of arms to all who bear arms in the defense of their country. Certainly this is not the historic approach in the U.S.

European "professionals" rightfully looked down upon American armies made up of armature citizen soldiers as lacking the doctrinal uniformity of training, dress, mannerisms and tactics found in their professional forces. We wore the fact of our military being made up of such armatures as a badge of honor, and similarly mocked them for their stilted, predictable, "professional" ways.

Too much of a good thing, however is a bad thing, so we created the military academies so as to always have a core of professionals to build our citizen armies around whenever the need for such a force drove its formation.

The current professional force, like the strategies of containment it was formed to implement, is as obsolete as the smooth bore musket. The challenge is to get senior leaders to embrace such thinking after the current model being "what right looks like" for three generations.

Americans like their army being a little rough around the edges, and they like it being something that good citizens form in times of need, and that melts back down to its professional core once that need is over. The irony is, that the "profession of arms" that prevents the formation of such a citizenry, is perhaps the group that grieves their fading from the American fabric the most.
    Do the American’s really want a “professional” Army? Is that what we should be striving for? or should we remain "a little rough around the edges"? A little more human.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 07-07-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Interesting questions. I think like most things, Americans want it both ways - with the option of not paying for it if at all possible.

The problem I see with the "professionalism" debate is that it's very narrow, and takes the existence of the Army as it is constituted today for granted. But that's not sustainable because of the fiscal constraints of decaying military purchasing power. I haven't seen a chart of military expenditures as a percentage of the federal budget since, say, 1945 but the numbers within the DoD budget's line items are, in a word, disconcerting. How do high operational tempos, an expeditionary posture with global commitments, and shrinking budget availability for personnel affect "professionalism"?
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

More ideal ramblings. The more I ponder this the more I think the American Soldier suffers from an identity crisis.

First, the professional Soldier is a tool of policy. War is an extension of foreign and domestic policy. Foreign policy will drive where and how he is used. His thoughts on that policy should be irrelevant. Being a professional, much like the attorney defending the person she knows is guilty; he must separate his personal feelings from the mission at hand. Otherwise he is not a professional and is useless to the civilian leadership he serves.

In domestic policy the Soldier is used as hero, martyr, and “America’s sons and daughters.” He is a hero in that he volunteers to risk his life in furtherance of the ideals of Freedom and the “American Way.” Here the first cracks in the veneer of “Professional Soldier” start to show. I read a letter to an editor recently allegedly by a Soldier who said that, while he deployed twice, because he was not an infantrymen who placed his life on the line every day he was not a “hero”. Sorry, but that is not your call. You can admit that amongst your peers, but to the outside world you carry the mantle of “hero” because that is what the public expects of you. Be gracious, be respectful, and suck it up, cause its part of the mission.

The “sons and daughters” one drives me the most crazy. It tends to be used in two ways. The first is to make clear who will shed the “blood” in “blood and Treasure”. The next generation - the future of America itself. Using this phrase is intended to give pause and make the politician think long and hard about the decision to use the military. I have no problem with that. The other way it is used is to force the military to buy stuff, a lot of which the Soldier ends up wearing or carrying. Giving the Soldier the “best equipment money can buy” helps relieve the guilt the people who are screaming for war might feel about sending America’s sons and daughters into harm’s way – it’s the Soldiers fault if they die of heat exhaustion from wearing all this crap.

The public has idealized the WWII Soldier. The average Joe who answers the call of duty, receives the best training we can come up with, marches off to war, wins, and then comes home to live on a farm in peace the rest of his life. The public does not really trust the Professional Soldier; the one tied into the “military-industrial complex” that uses the term “national security” as a shield to protect them from public scrutiny or disclosure.

I don’t think we prepare are Soldiers for the schizophrenic nature of their duty. I am certain that the fact that we tell them they are liberating people and spreading democracy does not square with what they actually do in places like Iraq and Afghanistan weighs on them. That the people in the village down the road you are protecting really don’t like you and want nothing to do with your culture - whith the American Way. A professional might be able to deal with that. Or maybe not.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 07-08-2014 at 01:49 PM.

---

Quote Originally Posted by TC
    First, the professional Soldier is a tool of policy. War is an extension of foreign and domestic policy. Foreign policy will drive where and how he is used. His thoughts on that policy should be irrelevant.
    I take issue with this because the Nuremburg Trials clearly established that a soldier's obedience to political orders is not a sufficient defense against charges of wars of aggression and crimes against humanity. The scope of international law is only expanding. The idea of a unquestioning military leadership is appropriate for 19th century states where no higher international legal regime existed that held individuals accountable for their actions. If a U.S. president ordered a war of aggression against a foreign state, should the military leadership obey that order?

I think there is something to be said about the mythologizing of military service, both within and outside the ranks. And to an extent, I think that process is harmful to the formulation and execution of strategy - you brought up some good examples toward that end.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    I take issue with this because the Nuremburg Trials clearly established that a soldier's obedience to political orders is not a sufficient defense against charges of wars of aggression and crimes against humanity. The scope of international law is only expanding. The idea of a unquestioning military leadership is appropriate for 19th century states where no higher international legal regime existed that held individuals accountable for their actions. If a U.S. president ordered a war of aggression against a foreign state, should the military leadership obey that order?
    AP, that's an interesting question. It was not my intent to go down that road, I was talking more in generalities. It should not matter if we are supporting a democracy or a dictator, only that it is in the interest of National Secuirty.

However, looking at waterboarding and other methods that could/should be considered torture under the Convention Against Toruture, is it not fair to say that we have already crossed that bridge - that the government has ordered Soldiers to either torture suspects or be complacient in that torture (at least until someone dies and it becomes public) [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagram_...risoner_abuse]. I suppose it only matters if you lose.

---