Thread: Regulating PMC (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Who really has expertise

in this area? I think we all agree that there is a problem with the accountability for contractors with regard to their behavior when they act outside the law (or are accused of so doing). Placing contractors who work for or in support of military ops under the UCMJ was IMO an important step. My concerns have to do with what's next. My recommendation - which you articulately questioned - was to designate a commander for all USG activities during a contingency which would bring contractors who work for State, like Blackwater, under the UCMJ roof. But, as you pointed out, there are still questions. Anyway, how might you solve the problem of accountability for "other people's" contractors?

Part of what I was suggesting you do (since I don't really want to do the legal research or read the lawyerly verbosity in many of your cites) was to digest for us the essence of what you found and then draw a few conclusions and recommendations as above.

Cheers

JohnT

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    Anyway, how might you solve the problem of accountability for "other people's" contractors?

Cheers

JohnT
    Hi John, I can tell you from personal experience inside the US (Alabama) as far as civil liablity the courts do not make any distinction between contractor and the person (Agency) who contracted them. They are considered to be part of the contracting angency. That is part of the Law of agency(jmm can better comment on that than me) which I never understood how groups like Blackwater could get around.

Council Member

Default That may be the eintire problem.

The principal (State in the Blackwater case) is exempt from violations of Iraqi law as are all US contractors under the CPA passed rules still in force. In UN ops, for example, peacekeepers have extraterritoriality as well.

Default Local policy enforcement of contractors

Do civilian contractors that are supporting a DoD contract but do not have CAC cards have to comply with local military directives concerning off time activities? An example:

Commander X issued a new rule that military and civilian personnel on Camp A cannot have any alcohol at all any establishment that serves alcohol is now off limits. However, 10 minutes away Camp B is not under the same rule yet under the jurisdiction of the same commander.

P.S. just wondering did my 20 but am looking for the clarification.

thanks!