Thread: My first FTX is coming up

Default My first FTX is coming up

My first training exercise is coming up on Friday for AROTC, in which I will be travailing to Quantico with my school's battalion to participate in a variety of events many of which relate to what I've learned or done so far in AROTC. However, I've never been on a ROTC FTX before, so if anyone else has done one before what should I expect in terms of the courses, challenges etc?

Council Member

I think you should just go, and find out.

Council Member

I don't know about ROTC FTXs, but our Basic FTX was basically a DIGX. We marched out, set up a perimeter, dug foxholes and assigned guard shifts. Then we ran around doing stuff like reacting to gas attacks, more marching, etcetera.

My advice: bring long underwear. Apparently, there's this new thing where it gets cold at night in the winter, not sure who thought that one up.

As far as gear goes, I'll tell you what I told my cadets (MS I class, University of Hawai'i).

-Don't bring a Rambo knife. You going to use a knife to open MREs. A modest size Swiss Army Knife (not the ten bajillion blade model) or a multi-tool (like a Leatherman or Gerber) works fine. If you go this route, get something with scissors; trying to trim moleskine with a knife doesn't work.

-Don't bring a $120 flashlight so bright it causes retina damage at 15m. You're going to use it to find your sleeping bag or check a map on night land nav. If you just CANNOT live with the Army issue flashlight, get a small (AA or AAA battery) LED type light with a red or blue LED.

-Wear a watch. Assume you'll lose or break your cellphone doing landnav and tactics. You'll still be expected to be on time, and an alarm is useful (but silence it during tactics). A G-Shock is an excellent choice.

-If you're not issued a poncho liner, you might consider making this investment in your career. Your wubbie is your friend.

Concur with the long underwear; a good set of polypro can save your life. Or at least prevent cold weather injury (not a problem for my younglings though).

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    As far as gear goes, I'll tell you what I told my cadets (MS I class, University of Hawai'i).

-Don't bring a Rambo knife. You going to use a knife to open MREs. A modest size Swiss Army Knife (not the ten bajillion blade model) or a multi-tool (like a Leatherman or Gerber) works fine. If you go this route, get something with scissors; trying to trim moleskine with a knife doesn't work.

-Don't bring a $120 flashlight so bright it causes retina damage at 15m. You're going to use it to find your sleeping bag or check a map on night land nav. If you just CANNOT live with the Army issue flashlight, get a small (AA or AAA battery) LED type light with a red or blue LED.

-Wear a watch. Assume you'll lose or break your cellphone doing landnav and tactics. You'll still be expected to be on time, and an alarm is useful (but silence it during tactics). A G-Shock is an excellent choice.

-If you're not issued a poncho liner, you might consider making this investment in your career. Your wubbie is your friend.

Concur with the long underwear; a good set of polypro can save your life. Or at least prevent cold weather injury (not a problem for my younglings though).
    Concur with all of the above. Shell out the sixty or seventy bucks for a solid multitool, it'll come in handy all the time.

I finally got out of Quantico two months ago, expect the weather to be miserable in one way or another.

Default Granite State and Van got it right

I understand it is standard issue now...but bring your Gortex...Quantico Falls can get wet and miserable.

So did this kid survive, or did the Jabberwocky eat him?
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    So did this kid survive, or did the Jabberwocky eat him?
    To answer your question, I actually overslept and missed the bus.