Thread: Biometrics (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Technology in and of itself, I believe, is amoral. In that sense I do not wish to demonize biometrics, but the level of control it will enable is unparalleled.

I fear that whatever biometric technologies or practices we develop for use overseas, will eventually be employed domestically. The combination of trends in our government and economy, with future capabilities in biometrics and other technology scares the hell out of me; I fear for the future of our Republic.

Default Not convinced

The use of biometrics may have an impact and IIRC there was a thread on their lack of value before.

It appears to be a classic military-industrial-security complex offering a technological option, which is grasped without much real hard thought.

The USA and other usually rich nations maybe able to use biometrics; will the campaign against the LRA in Uganda be affected by them? No.

All too often we hear that new solutions offer greater security and years later learn that cheaper options are more effective; in support I'd cite a UK report that better lighting is better for crime prevention than CCTV.

You cite a few examples of value in your post and point to a NYPD success, could you please add links to those?

Has any independent review been conducted on the impact of biometrics?

Human Rights and Ethics have a place too.
    davidbfpo

Default Some reading

In a quick reading of one UK newspaper today I found these articles; on the potential for DNA fraud:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...dy-claims.html and for fingerprint evidence after a judge's criticism:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ior-judge.html

An the "tip of an iceberg" on the surveillance society in the UK:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...than-ever.html
    davidbfpo