Thread: Biometrics (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Biometrics (catch all)

Gone are the days of conventional uniforms, symbols, and equipment that make the enemy easily identifiable. Now identifying a threat is as difficult as ever. In the digital age, photo IDs, identification cards, and other official documents are becoming less effective. Biometrics has emerged as a growing capability that addresses this issue.

Biometrics are measurable physical and behavioral characteristics that enable the establishment and/or verification of an individual’s identity. Biometrics can be used to identify friend from foe, verify identity claims, and ensure the right person has the proper access at the right time. Biometric technologies are also improving civilian security both at home and abroad.

However, several issues still need to be addressed with regard to the use of biometrics. Policies, regulations, and laws have not yet caught up with this capability. They continue to restrict the use of biometrics which keeps this capability from reaching its full potential. Public opinion also plays a part in this discussion. Many view the use of certain biometric devices as an intrusion of personal privacy.

Also, biometric technology is increasing at a rate faster than doctrine can be revised to fully incorporate biometrics into how we conduct business. We must institutionalize biometrics within DoD. We must further develop formal biometric education and training policies within the biometrics community. At a minimum, we should create a training standard that establishes biometrics as an additional skill identifier. At this point in our military force structure, establishing a biometrics-related MOS may be a bridge too far.

There are also conflicting opinions on the added capability that biometric devices provide. Some feel that they are simply another piece of equipment to be carried and maintained. Others feel it could be useful but the biometrics enterprise is ineffective. Some simply do not see the rewards of biometric collection efforts and therefore feel biometrics has no worth. However, there are many who are fully supportive of what biometrics brings to the fight. I am very curious to hear opinions on the use of biometrics.

Biometrics is quickly becoming vital to security efforts. NYPD is proving that by its recent integration of handheld iris scanners to improve security and safeguard identities. Whether we like it or not, I feel that biometrics is here to stay.

Bear in mind….I am by no means a biometrics expert. However, I am very familiar with the enterprise and its capabilities. I am very interested in hearing other thoughts or concerns.

Moderator's Note

This threads title was until today Thoughts on Biometrics as an enduring capability; the posts are wider than that, so it is now Biometrics (catch all).
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 03-10-2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Add Mods Note.