Quote Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
Fully agree with the "...if it ain't broke..." sentiment although I had no idea that what we know as the humble 'hoochie' had such a long history...of all the personal equipment we had, this was the only one that we never asked to have improved - coz we couldn't see what else it might need...a great testament to the KISS principle...have used it in conditions from the Asian monsoon to light snow and have been amazed at the ingenuity with which soldiers can apply such a simple design to protect them from the environment and use it for other tasks like flotation, improvised stretcher, etc
Likewise, I only have positive things to say about the mighty weather-defying half-shelter (aka hoochie). I have been taught some pretty amazing and outrageous hoochie set-ups in my time, including a make-shift sauna if you need to defrost someone in a non-tactical environment.

Originally thinking it would be good to post an image of the NZ issue hoochie with this post I then went and searched 'hoochie' as a google image query.... wow. I think something may have been lost in translation?!?