I was particularly impressed by the SECDEF's response that the cables largely are in line with what the overt U.S. policy is, with respect to each policy area. While I cannot read the files due to the DOD policy that the material has not been de-classified (despite being published) and that reading it would constitute a security violation; it is my impression that the cables largely reveal a responsible and capable U.S. policy privately pursuing policy using the same methods that we have espoused publicly. As the SECDEF stated, this will likely have little effect on foreign policy because countries do not work with the U.S. out of choice, but rather out of necessity and because it is the best choice to achieve many mutual goals.

I am much more interested in the implications for open source analysis of how foreign policy is pursued. The publishing of this material is an opportunity for the best academics (without a security clearance or need to know) in security studies and foreign policy to figure out what methods and policies work best to accomplish U.S. goals. While the material data set is large and will require more time to digest, it presents a unique opportunity to correctly study and formulate policy in a post 9/11 world. In addition, I think the DOD should remove restrictions on DOD members from analyzing this material, or at least remove restrictions from Naval Post-Graduate School and National Defense University students so that their perspective is not left out of the historical discussion.

D