Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wikileaks collection

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    So I guess the question is whether they got money from the tabloid press or the CIA or whoever?
    Or, of course, there is the more logical possibility--which seems to be the one generally accepted in Sweden--that they were both upset at what they saw as his "no condom" trickery and subsequent refusal to take an STD test, and pressed charges.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Default Actually, rather than take a standing broad jump

The situation here is simple, the US left a backdoor to the house open, one of its kids took stuff from the study and gave it to a man in the street who then took it to the newspapers. Lock the door, smack the kid and then... dry your eyes.
    to a wrong conclusion -- we would not wish to steal your best trick -- the kid is being investigated and may be charged, the man on the street is slowly making a fool of himself and is in fact harming the very cause he claims to support and those who hopped on his bandwagon early are looking increasingly more foolish by the day. The only people with wet eyes are those wiping the mud off their faces -- idiot politicians, media types including those Newspapers you mention and the odd wandering minstrel who tried to make a big deal out of very little.

Strangely large amount of that on several subjects around here lately...

Still, the gossip fans of the world love old Julian...

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what sort of abuse it was that he suffered as a child.
    From The New Yorker this summer:
    Assange was born in 1971, in the city of Townsville, on Australia’s northeastern coast, but it is probably more accurate to say that he was born into a blur of domestic locomotion. Shortly after his first birthday, his mother—I will call her Claire—married a theatre director, and the two collaborated on small productions. They moved often, living near Byron Bay, a beachfront community in New South Wales, and on Magnetic Island, a tiny pile of rock that Captain Cook believed had magnetic properties that distorted his compass readings. They were tough-minded nonconformists. (At seventeen, Claire had burned her schoolbooks and left home on a motorcycle.) Their house on Magnetic Island burned to the ground, and rifle cartridges that Claire had kept for shooting snakes exploded like fireworks. “Most of this period of my childhood was pretty Tom Sawyer,” Assange told me. “I had my own horse. I built my own raft. I went fishing. I was going down mine shafts and tunnels.”

Assange’s mother believed that formal education would inculcate an unhealthy respect for authority in her children and dampen their will to learn. “I didn’t want their spirits broken,” she told me. In any event, the family had moved thirty-seven times by the time Assange was fourteen, making consistent education impossible. He was homeschooled, sometimes, and he took correspondence classes and studied informally with university professors. But mostly he read on his own, voraciously. He was drawn to science. “I spent a lot of time in libraries going from one thing to another, looking closely at the books I found in citations, and followed that trail,” he recalled. He absorbed a large vocabulary, but only later did he learn how to pronounce all the words that he learned.

When Assange was eight, Claire left her husband and began seeing a musician, with whom she had another child, a boy. The relationship was tempestuous; the musician became abusive, she says, and they separated. A fight ensued over the custody of Assange’s half brother, and Claire felt threatened, fearing that the musician would take away her son. Assange recalled her saying, “Now we need to disappear,” and he lived on the run with her from the age of eleven to sixteen. When I asked him about the experience, he told me that there was evidence that the man belonged to a powerful cult called the Family—its motto was “Unseen, Unknown, and Unheard.” Some members were doctors who persuaded mothers to give up their newborn children to the cult’s leader, Anne Hamilton-Byrne. The cult had moles in government, Assange suspected, who provided the musician with leads on Claire’s whereabouts. In fact, Claire often told friends where she had gone, or hid in places where she had lived before.

Bourbon,
    Reading this gave me the willies. I began to think they were describing my childhood with a father in the Navy

Then I realized this was in fact Ken But what became of his half brother

I'll return to my corner now and freeze

In case you folks don't talk to me anymore (wonders never cease), My Best for a Safe and Happy Christmas !

Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Bourbon,
    Reading this gave me the willies. I began to think they were describing my childhood with a father in the Navy

Then I realized this was in fact Ken. But what became of his half brother

I'll return to my corner now and freeze

In case you folks don't talk to me anymore (wonders never cease), My Best for a Safe and Happy Christmas !

Regards, Stan
    Best wishes back at ya, Stan!

And rumor has it that Ken's half-brother grew up to be Wilf...but we can't be sure without DNA.....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    And rumor has it that Ken's half-brother grew up to be Wilf...but we can't be sure without DNA.....
    You're on your own in collecting it.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Council Member

Default Hyvää päivää, Stan

ja hauska joulua, sinä vanha liha hurtta.

There's got to be actual Finnish Helsinki street slang for the last phrase; but it's the thought that counts and I tried.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    ... the kid is being investigated and may be charged, the man on the street is slowly making a fool of himself and is in fact harming the very cause he claims to support and those who hopped on his bandwagon early are looking increasingly more foolish by the day.
    Well, Assange was turned into /turned himself into a personification of Wikileaks and now the enemies of Wikileaks are having a field day.

Ken, come on. You've not naive enough to believe that this is how things developed all by themselves.

Default Tsau ja Tervist Eestimaalt, Mike !

Hmmm, should have told you my better half speaks fluent Finnish and she translated that Sierra

Now that I've been reduced to a long-nosed Finnish hunting dog (I've been called worse, but never by a Finn hiding out in the USA practicing law ) :

Häid Jõule Sullegi ka...Vana nagu rong ja kole nagu öö !

Terv, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    ja hauska joulua, sinä vanha liha hurtta.

There's got to be actual Finnish Helsinki street slang for the last phrase; but it's the thought that counts and I tried.

Regards

Mike
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Default Hey Stan,

sinä vanha liha hurtta - you old meat hound.

Yeh, there's got to be current Finnish slang for "meat hound" - I don't know it (probably something with vitt in it).

See; Assange should have stuck to the Finnish side of the gulf and he wouldn't have as many problems.

I'm waiting for the indictment (if it ever is filed or unsealed) and the extradition request (if one is then made). Before those events, all is prettry much speculation. Remember our Herman's case.

Regards (esp. to your better half)

Mike

Despite all of the electrons expended in discussing this issue, it seems as if Wikileaks is kind of a nothing burger. The US went postal on the issue, for no real purpose. The Iranians claim it's all a fake and the looney left has been unable to come up with anything substantial. I guess that we'll have to look elsewhere for the great scandals and the super secrets.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    to a wrong conclusion -- we would not wish to steal your best trick -- the kid is being investigated and may be charged, the man on the street is slowly making a fool of himself and is in fact harming the very cause he claims to support and those who hopped on his bandwagon early are looking increasingly more foolish by the day. The only people with wet eyes are those wiping the mud off their faces -- idiot politicians, media types including those Newspapers you mention and the odd wandering minstrel who tried to make a big deal out of very little.

Strangely large amount of that on several subjects around here lately...

Still, the gossip fans of the world love old Julian...
    Ken, lets talk about Bradley Manning for a moment.

I understand that he has been incarcerated for seven months without being charged. Whatever happened to the rule of law? Where are the demands for him to be charged or released? This is becoming a human rights issue. You do see this don't you?

Get over it. So Assange had an unsettled childhood, how does that affect matters?
    *Yawn* Nothing to get over, bubbi. I just find it amusing that some folks consider him a hero.

Gotta love his smoove moves.

http://gawker.com/5714043/the-creepy...yline=true&s=i

http://gawker.com/5714896/leaked-jul...worst-sex-ever
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default Uh, no. I see it as JMA making a mountain out of a molehill yet again.

...lets talk about Bradley Manning for a moment.

I understand that he has been incarcerated for seven months without being charged.
    Your understanding is as usual lacking in many critical areas. Steve was right earlier, your lack of adequate research before you pontificate is tellinbg.

Manning was arrested in Kuwait last May and charged with two counts of misconduct: "transferring classified data onto his personal computer and adding unauthorized software to a classified computer system" and "communicating, transmitting and delivering national defense information to an unauthorized source". Both are violations of Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), the governing Federal Statutory code for the US Armed Forces. He is being held in pre-trial confinement in the Brig at Quantico while the investigation is completed. He may or may not be charged with treason (almost certainly not, it is very difficult to prove) or other actions inimical to good order and discipline.

That pre-trial confinement was almost certainly vetted at Judge Advocate General of the Army level and the Pre-Trial confinement almost certainly approved by a General Officer.

The length of the investigation is a function of the UCMJ requirements for evidence and proof which are quite exhaustive. There may be a justice system in the world that is more protective of the accused than the UCMJ but I am unaware of any.
    Whatever happened to the rule of law?
    Works reasonably well here; in the case of the UCMJ, many think too well. How about your locale?
    Where are the demands for him to be charged or released? This is becoming a human rights issue. You do see this don't you?
    Not at all, I see no such thing. I see your usual hyperbole and innuendo being used to escalate yet another non-issue into something with which to entertain yourself. It's getting tedious. Pete's right, you really need to get out more...

His human rights are IMO being excessively protected due to the requirements of the UCMJ, the publicity attendant in this case and the fact that he is gay (rightly or wrongly, a sensitive issue politically to the Armed Forces at this time). There are plenty of demands for him to be released -- he has been charged -- and those demands are mostly coming from a bunch of ignorant and ill informed left wing twinks. I know you don't want to be seen as ill informed or as a left wing twink so you can safely ignore those folks.

Council Member

Ken, lets talk about Bradley Manning for a moment.

I understand that he has been incarcerated for seven months without being charged. Whatever happened to the rule of law? Where are the demands for him to be charged or released? This is becoming a human rights issue. You do see this don't you?
    Charge sheet for Bradley Manning: here (dated 29 May 2010). There's also a copy on his support website.

Total time taken to find it: under 5 seconds (but then again, I have a fast internet connection--on a slower connection it might have taken 6-7).

Google is a wonderful thing
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Council Member

I am so glad to see the leaks focus shift back to the real culprit (Manning) instead of the side show (Assange).

I still have trouble, though, believing that a lowly PFC (yes, I was one once, too), could have had unfettered access to such a broad base of info.

With only 1 or 2% released so far, two of them have sent shivers down my spine since they were so close to me and my work.

It is merely a question of time before mine are released. Note: They always leave the author, just purge the "names" referenced.

Of the two released so far, I know every source that was deleted, as do any of their opponents/competitors who may have read them, too.

The problem is not Assange. He may be the threat, but the problem is internal control/security.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Or, of course, there is the more logical possibility--which seems to be the one generally accepted in Sweden--that they were both upset at what they saw as his "no condom" trickery and subsequent refusal to take an STD test, and pressed charges.
    Yes, I used to believe in the tooth fairy as well.

Help me here, have I got the time line correct?

At first the investigation is dropped, right?

Then within days of the Cables starting to be leaked the investigation is opened again, Right?

And this is an absolute coincidence?

And you just throw in "generally accepted in Sweden" without any source?

BTW what is the % of condom use among (young) Swedes involved in casual sex? What are the chances that Assange coincidentally found the two most ardent condom users in all Sweden for a romp on his 10 days in Sweden?

What do you think the USG would like everyone to believe?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Charge sheet for Bradley Manning: here (dated 29 May 2010). There's also a copy on his support website.

Total time taken to find it: under 5 seconds (but then again, I have a fast internet connection--on a slower connection it might have taken 6-7).

Google is a wonderful thing
    OK, thanks for that, but I seem to have missed his court appearances. You can help me with that through your Google skills?

Council Member

I only read an interesting Interview with a Swiss whistleblower in the Swiss daily "Tagesanzeiger". Rudolf Elmer helped to leak a bunch of documents that proved the illegal activities of Swiss bank Julius Bär in offshore trading. He informed federal agencies by passing them classified documents but they showed no interest in it. In 2007 he was fired and decided to make public the documents via Wikileaks.
    In this Interview Mr. Elmer passes sharp criticism on Assange and his monopolization of the platform for his personal anti-American crusade. Elmer also questions the trend that whistleblowing has become big business.
    Here is the interview: http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz/...story/23226809

Unfortunately, the text is in German. Nevertheless an interesting read!

Banned

Default Found it...

Manning's first court appearance:

Judge: "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

Manning: "I have, your honor. That's why I'm here."