Thread: Ivory Coast

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Originally Posted by Stan
    Hey JMA,
    Agreed, and I did provide some weak links to support my theories regarding our Administrations' amateur Africanists

However, a tour or two and later a self-proclaimed expert on the region worries me; be it military and/or civilian. They are flattering themselves at best and simultaneously showing our inept ability to comprehend African politics.
    Stan, of course you are correct in that even after a few years in Nigeria as ambassador he remains a long way from being an Africa expert. I wish there was something like the "congressional voting record" one could apply to the analyst/chattering class. Very soon we would see who knew what he was talking about.

Lets just look at what he said again:

Because what power sharing does is that it enables a big man who has lost an election to remain in power, and from that perspective this is a particularly sensitive time in Africa.

The spread of power sharing may well tempt those who lose those elections to try to either somehow hang onto power or gain power or (even) some options of power.

Power sharing is undemocratic,’’
    That would seem obvious to me but believe it or not there are a lot of self proclaimed smart guys at State who think differently or see not problem/pattern taking shape across Africa.

In the classic tradition of Africa they take one step forward (holding elections where none were held before) then one step back by refusing to accept the outcome and trying to negotiate personal terms over the wishes of the people under the threat of mass bloodshed). And the smart guys at State are saying... "but at least they are holding elections."

Too many from my days and second guessing your African political opponents with ca 1970s studies can only lead us to an ineffective policy for engagements in the most important Francophone country in the region.
    Well one learns from Africa that "when the elephants fight it is the grass that gets trampled" - (Kikuyu proverb).

So why it is not obvious to State if you want to avoid the "grass getting trampled" (and end up paying billions in humanitarian aid, reconstruction projects etc etc) you take the bad elephants out before they cause damage? Quick and clean.

Then another obvious Africa proverb "If you want to kill a snake hit it on the head."

Maybe we should run a seminar for the clowns at State called "The Art of the Obvious"

The US might have had the last word with Charles Taylor, but we don't have a hope or prayer here. IMO the current administration still doesn't get the internal dynamics of the Ivory Coast and West Africa.
    Regards, Stan
    Good heavens Stan, you mean beyond fun on the cocktail party circuit the US State department has little to show for the last fifty years (or so) of engagement with Africa?
    Last edited by SWCAdmin; 01-10-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: restored post from e-hiccup; post timestamp is approx