Thread: Ivory Coast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JMA,
    The cruiser missile solution is not a good solution, despite the fact that I like the idea.
    The CEDAO has warned Bagbo that they will use force to support Outtara and install legitimate power in Ivory Coast. That's the solution. A stinky one but still, the solution. On one point Bagbo is right, it's time for the western powers to withdraw from direct intervention in african politic. And for the African Nations to stand for democracy, legitimacy through vote and legality.

I know, it sounds weird, especially coming from some of them. But yes, it's time for a change and to stop the Africa is different so it is legitimate that african people have dictators, because we are different. Yes africa is different but that does not apply to how to access to power.

A missile coming from a US or what ever western nation on Bagbo presidential palace and guard will only make him a martyr. And ultimately reinforce the fact that crazy dictators are legitimately in power on that continent.

An act by the African Nations will put a stone on a long road for change.

And yes Stan, DRC but also Rwanda, Uganda, South Sudan... are to come. (And most probably others that I forget, shouldn't they have soon elections in Liberia, Sierra Leone...).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    JMA,
    The cruiser missile solution is not a good solution, despite the fact that I like the idea.
    The CEDAO has warned Bagbo that they will use force to support Outtara and install legitimate power in Ivory Coast. That's the solution. A stinky one but still, the solution. On one point Bagbo is right, it's time for the western powers to withdraw from direct intervention in african politic. And for the African Nations to stand for democracy, legitimacy through vote and legality.

I know, it sounds weird, especially coming from some of them. But yes, it's time for a change and to stop the Africa is different so it is legitimate that african people have dictators, because we are different. Yes africa is different but that does not apply to how to access to power.

A missile coming from a US or what ever western nation on Bagbo presidential palace and guard will only make him a martyr. And ultimately reinforce the fact that crazy dictators are legitimately in power on that continent.

An act by the African Nations will put a stone on a long road for change.

And yes Stan, DRC but also Rwanda, Uganda, South Sudan... are to come. (And most probably others that I forget, shouldn't they have soon elections in Liberia, Sierra Leone...).
    With respect the "leave it to the Africans" approach is just a cop out.

Hundreds and thousands (millions if you count Rwanda) of Africans have died needlessly due to the failure of the superpowers to act at the critical moment to avert disaster. The critical moment is now and a few well aimed missiles now is what is needed.

If Ghana (the nearest country with some sort of air force) had an air force that could strike (on behalf of ECOWAS) in the manner envisaged in a cruise missile strike then yes that would be the best option. But both the serviceability of the aircraft and their ability to strike the correct target must be considered doubtful.

Solution. ECOWAS jointly and publicly requests the US to do the deed. The US reluctantly agrees and a blood bath is averted.
    Last edited by JMA; 12-27-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    With respect the "leave it to the Africans" approach is just a cop out.
    In addition to being a mistake

Hundreds and thousands (millions if you count Rwanda) of Africans have died needlessly due to the failure of the superpowers to act at the critical moment to avert disaster.
    We have in fact failed abysmally, but I am pleased to inform you that the two C130 loads of dried biscuits and winter baby clothes did make it to Goma on schedule

If Ghana (the nearest country with some sort of air force) had an air force that could strike (on behalf of ECOWAS) in the manner envisaged in a cruise missile strike then yes that would be the best option. But both the serviceability of the aircraft and their ability to strike the correct target must be considered doubtful.
    No comment (none I could think of laughing myself to death).

Solution. ECOWAS jointly and publicly requests the US to do the deed. The US reluctantly agrees and a blood bath is averted.
    We'd be better off asking the Russians to do it. They would agree, but where would we get the ordnance now that their greatest arms dealer in Africa is in an American prison

You will be please to know that Gbagbo is not flying anywhere soon as the French and Swiss have grounded his presidential aircraft for maintenance problems
    If you want to blend in, take the bus