Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
With respect the "leave it to the Africans" approach is just a cop out.
In addition to being a mistake

Hundreds and thousands (millions if you count Rwanda) of Africans have died needlessly due to the failure of the superpowers to act at the critical moment to avert disaster.
We have in fact failed abysmally, but I am pleased to inform you that the two C130 loads of dried biscuits and winter baby clothes did make it to Goma on schedule

If Ghana (the nearest country with some sort of air force) had an air force that could strike (on behalf of ECOWAS) in the manner envisaged in a cruise missile strike then yes that would be the best option. But both the serviceability of the aircraft and their ability to strike the correct target must be considered doubtful.
No comment (none I could think of laughing myself to death).

Solution. ECOWAS jointly and publicly requests the US to do the deed. The US reluctantly agrees and a blood bath is averted.
We'd be better off asking the Russians to do it. They would agree, but where would we get the ordnance now that their greatest arms dealer in Africa is in an American prison

You will be please to know that Gbagbo is not flying anywhere soon as the French and Swiss have grounded his presidential aircraft for maintenance problems