Quote Originally Posted by Brihard View Post
I may have spoken precipitously on Anglophone nations ignoring the situations...

Britain is now stating that it would support an intervention on a U.N. mandate, thought here's nothing specifying whether Britain has expressed any intent to provide material support, nor any differentiation between responses to a Chapter 6 v Chapter 7 mandate- the latter would seem to me to be necessary.

The rhetoric is ramping up too. Gbagbo is now accusing the U.N. of having fired on civilians, and is insisting U.N. forces leave.

Actually, what I like with the brits in africa is that if they push for a military intervention: they do not want to send troops. So if they say they want to participate, it's almost certain it will not happen.

Concernng the problematic of Muslim and Christians raised by OCNUS, it is true that the situation ischanging at the momment. There is a strong anti muslim push in sub-saharian africa at the momment. Just as there is a strong muslim push which coincide with the long term presence of Pakistany troops in man UN missions. (who said they did train some stupid idiotic armed groups leaders????).
But I remain septic on the capacity of Nigeria to play the lone ranger and fox up even US interrest.

By the way, the French are the one who did conduct most of the military interventions in Africa. The last US military (official) presence in africa lead to a Hollywood movie and I'm not sure that will happen again before long time.
Nt saying it should happen butI do think that there is room for a sub-saharian african power... let say South africa...