Regrettable, everything at the link sounds very much like any African country I have ever lived and worked in. I don't see the uniqueness of the Côte d'Ivoire from any other former colony. What I do see is very similar problems once the Africans were left to their own demise and thought they were playing in the big leagues with hungry Western powers.

These new Cabinet ministers demanded large salaries, cars and jobs in their ministries for their friends and families. No notion of competence or training was used in the selection of the new Cabinet ministers. Only that they were chosen by the rebel bands. In fact, few actually showed up to work. The civil administration of the country was incoherent and conflicted as the national interest took second place to the demands of rival Cabinet ministers.
They quickly learned how to amass wealth and power and once that taste was had, shy of death, little was going to change their path.

Without reference to a Constitution, government is illegitimate and there is no agreed common weal. And, if for some reason, sovereignty is tainted or diluted, democracy cannot function in anything but a trivial manner. These are all descriptors of the political situation in the Ivory Coast.
I need help with this passage please. Exactly where is this statement not true in nearly all of Africa, and what makes it so unique to the Ivory Coast? I couldn't call the Ivorian Constitution legit now any more than I could 15 years ago. I do recall however that Abidjan was like heaven compared to where I had been. Many said the same for Zaire under Belgian rule.

There have been many observers who have noted that the Ivory Coast military remains loyal to President Gbagbo. This is not really surprising as each soldier and officer took an oath which pledges them to the defence of the Constitution.
Defending the Constitution ? Does anyone actually believe that ? Watch what happens when their salaries are cut or devaluated.

A vital dimension to this conflict is the fact that most of the Ivory Coast population is under 26 years of age. There is a great gap between the population and the group of geriatrics which run the political structures in the country.
Again, this applies to nearly any of the dictatorships in Africa. The old farts will hang on to the bitter end, or until the cash runs out.