Thread: Key Leader Engagement (KLE) TTPs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

@Monk- I didn't have access to CIDNE when I was in country, but I think it definitely wouldn't have helped. TIGR or Palantir (if you have them) can do the same thing. We really miss the problem though, because the best solution is to have troops on the ground longer, though that buts inordinate stress on deploying Soldiers. No KLE summary can replace human interaction.

To piggy back on Bob's World's story, I had the same experience. Most of my KLEs or meetings were just BS-ing. But the guy I met with the most, and who we both got to exchange things of value--him intel and me firepower, we actually developed a trust relationship. And we respected each other. But it wasn't quick and it wasn't fake.

We had access to CIDNE, but it was easier to maintain the data locally and turn it over during the RIP. You bring up an excellent point about it though, and if you don't have bandwidth constraints, I suppose it could be a decent tool.

Part of the problem with our (USMC) training pipeline is that units aren't introduced to the potential of CIDNE during train-ups, and unless a SOP is developed for working the "soft" COIN stuff into it, it can become like most other tools; cumbersome and a chore to deal with because it is new. We need to reverse that.

We did not treat every cup of tea with locals as a KLE or a shura. They were just cups of tea and a talk, and nothing more in the way of a title. We continued to glean as much information as possible, but the differences were somewhat significant in that KLEs warranted a KLE debrief report. More casual meetings required a mention in the platoon/company 24 hour ops report, but not more detailed paperwork unless a specific item warranted it.

MC, good article. Hits a lot of good points on how IO is so interwoven into KLE.

As an aside, it was funny to recall the comments from the cultural advisors at Mojave Viper during our mission rehearsal exercise. We had a number of them tell us to not refer to the Taliban as Taliban. Even the handbooks say that, proclaiming that you are likely to confuse the locals, who will likely produce a student from a madrassa when you ask whee the bad guys are. Newsflash cultural advisors...TB is all that the locals use, so stop making that word out to be the bogeyman term that will sink the COIN fight if it is used!

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    As an aside, it was funny to recall the comments from the cultural advisors at Mojave Viper during our mission rehearsal exercise. We had a number of them tell us to not refer to the Taliban as Taliban. Even the handbooks say that, proclaiming that you are likely to confuse the locals, who will likely produce a student from a madrassa when you ask whee the bad guys are. Newsflash cultural advisors...TB is all that the locals use, so stop making that word out to be the bogeyman term that will sink the COIN fight if it is used!
    Actually, I had that happen to me, so maybe they are not all full of it. However, I think it was from a slick local leader who figured he could pull a fast one on me. I ran into some who didn't use the term Taliban and some who used it. I used Taliban, but also used "dushman" (enemy) as it is what the ANA I worked with used.