Thread: What problems lead to rioting? Catch all (new title)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Something to think about : nature abhors a vacuum.

DETROIT—More than 20% of Detroit's 139 square miles could go without key municipal services under a new plan being developed for the city, with as few as seven neighborhoods seen as meriting the city's full resources.

Those details, outlined by Detroit planning officials this week, offer the clearest picture yet of how Mayor Dave Bing intends to execute what has become his signature program: reconfiguring Detroit to reflect its declining population and fiscal health. Yet the blueprint still leaves large legal and financial questions unresolved.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._WSJ_US_News_5

So if wealthy neighborhoods can afford this -

One NJ Neighborhood Opts for Private Police Force
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...112341519.html

---what fills the vacuum in poor neighborhoods?
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default What fills the vacuum?

AdamG,

In my experience and viewing there is rarely a vacuum. When the state's power ebbs away or was never really that powerful (southern Italy comes to mind) there are alternative providers of 'order'.

On one large public housing project here there was a community court, which dealt mainly with petty theft and anti-social behaviour by juveniles. rarely were the police involved, although a couple of officers knew it existed. It was remarkably effective - according to those who spoke - and even the local criminal families accepted the court.

There have been several documentaries on alternative order providers in the shanty towns of South Africa. What I recall were: payment by results, lack of an effective state response and the narrow line for the alternative providers and what the community thought acceptable.
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    AdamG,

In my experience and viewing there is rarely a vacuum. When the state's power ebbs away or was never really that powerful (southern Italy comes to mind) there are alternative providers of 'order'.

On one large public housing project here there was a community court, which dealt mainly with petty theft and anti-social behaviour by juveniles. rarely were the police involved, although a couple of officers knew it existed. It was remarkably effective - according to those who spoke - and even the local criminal families accepted the court.

There have been several documentaries on alternative order providers in the shanty towns of South Africa. What I recall were: payment by results, lack of an effective state response and the narrow line for the alternative providers and what the community thought acceptable.
    Thats right, somebody will fill that role sooner or later.