Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input on forum organization?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Good point...

Levity aside, I do think it's a good idea to keep (possibly under a different name) some special area for "red cell"-type discussions.
    And we could end up with some Russians and Terrorists as members. That would indeed be interesting !
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Here are some of my thoughts on points raised so far. Far from the last word. Most importantly, in some cases I'm sharing a theory and at issue is how practice has departed from, or will depart, from the theory.

For background on the current macro approach and commentary on things that belong in multiple places -- see this FAQ.

Global Commons
    --
    An important set of topics. It was very much behind the Global Issues & Threats section at the top of the regional conflicts section. Perhaps we could expand the description of the forum. Some of the topics may fit more nicely in some of the participant/stakeholder forums (assuming we keep those).

Red Team --
    As mentioned, aligns with the Adversary/Threat forum. Also any real region-specific discussion would make a lot of sense in the regional forum.

Participants & Stakeholder
    s consolidation --
    Perhaps. Or may be a key to expansion and better serving a broader audience (see Bill Moore discussion in post #10). I really don't know. The real outliers I see at the moment are the Military Art & Science section which I think could combine some elements into the Participants & Stakeholders section and do away with others.

Conflict Resolution --
    Important topic. I'm not sure how that makes sense as a forum that is distinct from a conflict-specific thread in a regions forum (my first reaction); a stakeholder-specific domain or a grand strategy area (TBD?); or a series of forums (not on my short list, but?) re different phases from pre-hostility through resolution and maintaining the peace (or non-war). Would love to hear more.

Coalition Speaks --
    I agree with Jedburgh in the sense that everything is or should be coalition and we have perhaps evolved to be less US-centric than we feared, but also with others that there is still plenty of US-dominance in the Council. I do not like the idea of herding non-US perspectives or non-US news into one forum, it belongs everywhere. When formed, the idea of the forum was to provide a spot to remind US to practice what we preach regarding broader perspectives and to discuss US-centricity. It hasn't really emerged that way in practice, for whatever reason.

Region Refresh
    Absolutely needed. Especially OIF / OEF weigthing.

IW slicing and dicing
    StabOps, UW, CT, COIN, FID, etc. -- I think we've got a heck of a job as a community keeping up with our own terminology and with the utility of applying it in practice. There's a whole theory and doctrine discussion that could backstop any of those terms and make a mixing bowl of all of them. I don't see forum organization along those lines being fruitful. I do, however, think we might make some hay out of cleaning up the theorists & doctrine/TTP sections.

Thinking vs doing
    Whatever method there is to our madness (again, see here), we must do a good job of communicating it and still have modest expectations for a) just how understandable it is; b) just how useful it is even when understood.

Pete, if you can figure out how to make room service or take out work for the Kitakidogo Social Club, you will be our next hero.

Council Member

I still think it would be good to have a separate place to read up on perspectives and news written by foreigners that we here comment on, not US commentaries on foreign efforts where US and foreign people comment, does that make sense? That's why the suggestion International Efforts kind of sums that requirement up....What do you think?
    "Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war." Thucydides

"Philosophising about war is useless under fire." Linda Berdoll

http://phoenix.mod.bg

Council Member

Default International Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by HumanCOGRachel View Post
    I still think it would be good to have a separate place to read up on perspectives and news written by foreigners that we here comment on, not US commentaries on foreign efforts where US and foreign people comment, does that make sense? That's why the suggestion International Efforts kind of sums that requirement up....What do you think?
    International Efforts replacing Coalition Efforts in other words...
    "Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war." Thucydides

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Something I would really like to see is the resumption/inclusion of Journal Articles on the Forum. At the moment, many really good articles simply never get discussed on the boards as the folks to "comment" instead.

The Comment threads are usually very inferior to the forum discussion. ....IMO.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Wilf, we're doing some work to realign the blog, Journal, ref lib, etc. That should net out in a few months to a site-wide login and hopefully will make more Council regulars comfortable in the rest of the site. In the interim, as always, if there's a Journal article that's particularly deserving of some discussion here, anyone can open up a thread.

HumanCOGRachel, I believe I understand what you are saying and concur that, from one perspective of having a neat forum to go for non-US commentary, it would be a good idea. But the flip side of that is that all non-US commentary should then belong in that spot, and that looks to me like a bad way of going about keeping a pervasively international perspective in the other 98% of the board. So, in the net, I'm not a fan. Perhaps there are some tagging tools that we can use to offer some of the former pro without the latter con. For any of it to be successful, we need more commentary from foreign shores.

It does not seem that the intended forum topic of US-centricity is gaining traction as a forum itself, so we'll reevaluate that.

Council Member

In the words of Mr. Burns, "Eeeeexcellent....."

Default Obscure historical small wars

Irregularly forgotten small wars appear, most recently the Estonian nationalist resistance and another which I've forgotten already

Perhaps a thread within History? When I have time I will find the recent references and start a thread. We already have expertise in this area, like Steve Blair and history keeps on catching up with us.
    davidbfpo

^ I think a thread within the Historians forum is a great spot for that.

Council Member

Default medicine

I wanted to suggest some sort of medical related area since I noticed there wasn't one+... I'm hazy on how that might work, but coverage of related issues might be something people find useful.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by anonamatic View Post
    I wanted to suggest some sort of medical related area since I noticed there wasn't one+... I'm hazy on how that might work, but coverage of related issues might be something people find useful.
    Concur, I've got this growth/mole thingy on my arm. Just won't go away...too embarassed to se my Dr........

Council Member

Default Ahem, on a serious note...

..how is it that commercial sellers have access to advertise on the site? Is it down to pure initiative on the part of promoters to log on and become members? Not being too hot on all this WWWWWW.net/com/etc stuff I'd just like to know. Cheers

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Default Hadn't looked at this til now...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I agree we need a forum that welcomes non-military members to offer solutions to the problems associated with Small Wars, this includes law enforcement (local and federal and international), NGOs of all stripes, individual citizens (global), USAID members, Dept of Agriculture, etc. Normally they're not as thick skinned as Soldiers, so somehow they need to be allowed to post without getting swarmed on.
    Coming from the "individual citizens (global, thick-skinned)" perspective, I don't think it's really necessary to provide a sheltered zone for thin-skinned civilians. This is about the most civil place I've been on the internet, and anyone too thin-skinned to post here would make Casper Milquetoast look like Rambo.

Modifying structure to promote civilian input might be an option, if that's a goal, but I don't really see excessive abrasiveness as an obstacle to civilian participation. Certainly I've never felt that anyone from the .mil side has ever been excessively rough with me.

Council Member

Default You didn't actually say this, ....

did you ?

Originally Posted by Bill Moore
    I agree we need a forum that welcomes non-military members to offer solutions to the problems associated with Small Wars, this includes law enforcement (local and federal and international), NGOs of all stripes, individual citizens (global), USAID members, Dept of Agriculture, etc. Normally they're not as thick skinned as Soldiers, so somehow they need to be allowed to post without getting swarmed on.
    Everybody's arguments and assertions (including horse$h!t evidence) should be "swarmed on" - and done so big time. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

That "hunting license" BTW does not extend to ad hominem attacks - attack the argument or assertion; and not the person who in ignorance, passion or whatever, makes that argument or assertion.

We don't need or want 50 pullups for "military types" (some of whom make really dumb arguments or assertions) and 5 or less pullups for "non-military types" (however, you might define that; some of whom also make really dumb arguments or assertions).

Frankly, Moore, I'm being too harsh on you. This post is much more a reaction from having to deal with a$$ho!e, quibbling lawyers for the last 40+ years - most non-military; but, some were military, as to which I could give you some gems.

Regards (to both Bill and Steve - from the Armidillo):

Not my best photo, but what the hay (or hei, or hej).

Mike