Thread: How to build a State in a non State environment?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking

Mod's Note: copied here to facilitate the discussion from another thread, which starts with Post No.3.

M-A: No, I would never expel you and yes, this is exactly where I was going. It seems to me that COIN doctrine is misplaced in Afghanistan.

Yes, I am also leaning toward the dictatorship idea, but more of a constitutional monarchy. That might even be too much.

While I see the parallels between much of Africa and Afghanistan (in that there is no government outside the capital) I think there is a huge difference in certain areas. In many areas our colonialism was based on extracting natural resources, resources that these proto-states can still use as the foundation of a functioning state. Afghanistan and much of the HOA have no such resource. As a result, they have no influx of capital to run a government. One of the major functions of a government is to redistribute resources (taxes in, services and patronage out). Where there are no resources governments have a hard time functioning. It is even further complicated when religious institutions compete for the limited resources, redistributing tithes in accordance with their laws, and further weakening the power of the government or replacing the government in a form of one-stop-shop for social controls and services.

All of this seems more like the business of other agencies but, as advisers to the civilian leaders we serve I think it is incumbent on us to understand these matters and advise on the limitations of what a military can and cannot do to solve these problems. Not to mention that in an interconnected world, the threat can originate from anywhere. Hence, stability becomes a security issue and therefore, our business.

Thanks for all the comments and I will sit back and let let this one go where it may.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-27-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Copied here and Mod's Note added
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---