Thread: How to build a State in a non State environment?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    I remember seeing a piece on TED by Thomas Barnett about forming a Department of Everything Else. I have come to agree with that assessment. But even with that force you need a doctrine that understands how to build a functioning government out of what exists on the ground - not try to create little western democracies everywhere. (I have always found it fascinating that the organization called upon to export democracy is non-democratic).
    I was once OK reading his articles (he looks like Spock and that gives me the ibee jeebies) until he declared that once per-capita rises above three grand, war becomes less likely. There's just too many examples that blow this theory like Russia scarfing up tiny prosperous countries. He forgot about greed being my point.

I need to borrow a recent and great statement from member Slapout to better comment:

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    I think the world sees us as a bunch of white boys with guns trying to tell everybody else what to do, and they don't like it. However if you can find a local (indigenous group) that you can align with because you have the same objectives (reason to fight) things are a lot easier. And if you are really smart and leave personal ideologies and beliefs out of it and just concentrate on common goals you might just make a few friends.
    We shouldn't be trying to create little American democracies and we know it won't fly. Much like you opined, when the cash is gone, so is any semblance of cooperation, or worse, new enemies. When we do that we've forgotten the very basic element that often kept us off the "ugly American" list. I've been teaching indigenous forces and civilians for more than 25 years now, and there has always been that gray area and they have no problem cornering you into submission. Doesn't mean we're soft, just means "we get where you come from and that's cool" sort of attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    I am not an old SF soldier, but my understanding of the old SF mission was to help insurgencies and train fledgling foreign paramilitaries. I did not think it included the more recent addition of Civil Affairs. I could be wrong. In any case, even current Civil Affairs seems to have no clear doctrine beyond an attempt to replicate the governance systems and infrastructure of a western democracy. Again, I could be wrong.
    I might be old but I don't have that much time with SF. You'll need to check with Bob on that one

The missions both in Africa and Eastern Europe almost always included some strange folks tagging along. It's only clear later just how significant PSYOPS and CA are to the overall strategy (that doesn't mean we liked hangin' with them). They become the missing element especially when there's no war to be fought. We weren't replicating governance then, rather trying to get the public behind the band wagon. We even went out with the COS to folks homes and reassured them that their son would be safe joining the military and fighting the Russians (they liked that part the best !). Too hard to pin down their significant contributions and I have no clue just how hamstrung they are since I deal with the working class folks most.

EDIT:
    Too hard to pin down their significant contributions and I have no clue just how hamstrung they are since I deal with the working class folks most.
    I know that's a cop out for an answer, but I enjoy working level relationships free of politics and Bravo Sierra. Let's get the job done and drink beer !
    Last edited by Stan; 12-27-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus