Is it an 'identity crisis' that's plaguing the ME? I ask because multi-ethnic states aren't new in the Middle East - that they are so weak (for many of the reasons Crowbat) cited and that political power, as a consequence of foreign intervention, is often distributed on a sectarian basis, creates ideal conditions for sectarian conflict and extremism.

How many years have political stability have these states enjoyed since their creation - between the wars, coups, terrorism, etc? I'd venture not much. So it shouldn't be surprising that in these conditions, people pick sides and that they play to win. And we should also question the assumption that it it's in the West's interests to actually resolve any of these internal conflicts in any way that's fair or sustainable for the local populations.

Assigning 'identity crisis' as the cause of these conflicts is a cop-out that let's power-brokers wash their hands of any responsibility for the conflicts that they create and facilitate. They say the conflict is inherent and therefore they are absolved of any responsibility to do anything about it since the implication is that nothing can be done anyway. There is nothing inherent in identity that is conflictual. Conflict occurs when people take action, and that's a deliberate decision.