Thread: Lost posts on Small Wars Council o/a Jan 8, 2011

Default Lost posts on Small Wars Council o/a Jan 8, 2011

We migrated to a better server Friday-Saturday and managed to find some seams in our allegedly seamless migration service provider.

NET: some posts users made on Jan 8 were "lost." More specifically, they posted to the old server and are still there, but we're now on the new server. This problem impacted the Journal, SWJ Blog, and Council.

Current Status:

• We have fixed the problem for the comments made to Journal and SWJ Blog posts. Two entries and five comments were resurrected.
    • If you're reading this entry, you're reading from our new server and you are past the problem. You can post with as much assurance as usual that it won't be lost (actually, more, because we moved to a better box to solve the hiccups we were having).
    • We are digging through the ashes to find out how many posts were effected on the Council and what we can feasibly do about them.

If you have a specific lost post on which we should concentrate our Lazarus powers, please contact webmaster@smallwarsjournal.com. Username, forum, approximate time and any keywords will help us.

I will update this thread when I know more.

UPDATE: as of 2230, 9 Jan: (this is the final update) (?) (!!)
    - normal operations have returned today, 9 Jan
    - see here for rescued posts from 8 Jan
    - the rescue phase of the operation has been terminated
    - nanoseconds later, the recovery phase of the operation has been terminated
    - absent further red star clusters, we commit any unknown stray posts to the deep, until the Sea shall give up her dead. Full speed ahead.
    Last edited by SWCAdmin; 01-10-2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: provide the final update

I made a post that provided a unified field theory of insurgency and conclusively resolved the Afghan problem. I was wondering where it went. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

Bill,
    Per my email I'm aware of two posts missing from the Ivory Coast thread and now understand that JMA's post with attachment is missing from the Suppressive Fire thread which is posted here.

Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

"The Blog ate my homework." Teachers everywhere brace yourself for this new and improved alibi!
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Council Member

Default Best post of the year

I'm quite sure I made the best post of the year yesterday, and simply thought the lack of response was due to everyone simply admiring my work of art, and agreed that to comment on it would soild perfection.

Oh well, all dreams must end when we arise in the morning.

Ken White's entire history of warfare appears to have gone missing also

Default And even more...

Same with my eloquent case study post on schools, development, and the tie-in to the law of requisite variety that had Bill thinking hard about moving on over to the CA side of things
    Sapere Aude

Council Member

Same with my eloquent case study post on schools, development, and the tie-in to the law of requisite variety that had Bill thinking hard about moving on over to the CA side of things
    I requested that the post be deleted

Steve, you know I'm a fan of Civil Affairs that is based on reality and the people's needs. I'm just not a fan of the endless of Kodak moments that aren't tied to any meaningful end. You guys are still heroes in my book, even if we disagree on execution. I think I put that in my post yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Ken White's entire history of warfare appears to have gone missing also
    Dang, and I really wanted to review his post on the 1840s

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    Jeez, and to think I had you pegged as a Ranger, Steve
    Last edited by Stan; 01-09-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Default No worries...

... I was just joking around with you in the above post Bill, I'll be glad to spring for beers/steaks sometime.

In the meantime consider that I do agree with your concerns on our execution issues. I often observe/consider/examine the organizational structure we field with respect to the skills and experience necessary to be successful in development/CA/diplomacy/security work.

Let's touch specifically upon education. In my experience education is a long term effort/pay-off (not short term) which requires a deliberate approach in order to be successful.

For example, we could think about if have we properly assessed the existing personalities and systemic capacities present in the area we are working in and the people we have/need working in it? Here are three things that I have been thinking about since we last spoke.

1. Does the Land (Germany)/State (US)/Provincial (ME)/Department (Latin America) Director General of Education have a demographic census, a current budget, plans for future budget requests, and functional staff?

2. Will he one day find a sticky bomb on his/families/friends/co-workers vehicles if he supports a new/refurbished school in a certain area/or fails to provide support for a new/refurbished school in that same area? What are the long-term security needs/issues which will shape his decisions?

3. Do we have the organizational capacity/patience/time to coach him on planning, budgeting, design, construction, operations & maintenance, training/retraining teachers, human resource issues for his staff, etc? What can we do about his long-term security needs?
    Sapere Aude

Default I haven't gootten that far...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Dang, and I really wanted to review his post on the 1840s
    I was only up to the first of the 18th Century and was about ready to go into Jenkins's Ear...

Er, uh, figuratively, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Jeez, and to think I had you pegged as a Ranger, Steve

It's late on this side of the world, almost missed this one Stan. Do they really build schoolhouses at ranger school?

Didn't do it when I had a chance, and I am too old now, but admire them all the same They say there were a few floating around at some of the Embassy's in Africa?
    Sapere Aude

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    It's late on this side of the world, almost missed this one Stan. Do they really build schoolhouses at ranger school?

Didn't do it when I had a chance, and I am too old now, but admire them all the same They say there were a few floating around at some of the Embassy's in Africa?
    Steve,
    Stranger things have happened on this end of the world !
    My last 5 bosses were Rangers and several actually did have something to do with building school houses both here and in Sub-Sahara. Not that it was their MOS or anything, but that was the job at hand and so we did it.

Those that "float" around embassies in Africa would be a different sort of Ranger team. If they're there, you have a lot more problems than school houses to build

Damn. My fun meter is pegged and I'm really disappointed -- it sounds like some of you did your best work EVER during that unfortunate window. The stuff I recovered is pretty good, but falls short of the atom splitting, cancer curing genius of some recollections.

Lazarus move complete for the posts listed below. Recovered with stealth and vigor. I was not able to explore and recover anything from the members' forums without an extended re-attack that just seems too hard at the moment, but believe I got all the others. And that's about all the water that is coming out of this rock.