Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
Personally, I think we need to evolve from traditional concepts rooted in Physical Battle Space, and adopt more effective constructs that take into account "functional battle space" as well.
Good point as 'battlespace' always conjures up thoughts of good old-fashioned force-on-force state-versus-state MCO e.g. DESERT STORM, OIF Part 1, the Fulda Gap, etc...

My understanding is that, doctrinally, after fiddling with 'missionspace' the incoming terminology is now 'operating environment' in an attempt to better clutch up those other features, often less-tangible, of the COE...i.e those in the PMESCII-PT ASCOPE areas which were not the focus of operational training for those of use who went to school pre-21C...

So far as the C2 question in concerned...I think that it all comes down to the training and development of the commanders concerned - if you have those that operate strictly by the letter of the law (or doctrine) then, yes, that friction or worse is going to occur. Regardless of the doctrine, the guiding principle should always be 'apply with judgement' and all our systems do do their utmost to ensure that judgement is good...

With this caveat, I'm quite comfortable with Ken's definition's at the top of the thread...