Thread: Is Globalization the Answer or Culprit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cliff,

The Tea Party absolutely is not an insurgency for the simple reason that it is within the rule of law. The Tea party is legal politics.

However, in many, perhaps most countries around the world the Tea Party absolutely would be an insurgency because it would be illegal politics.

This is why I add "Hope" and describe it as the great off ramp from insurgency. Imagine a U.S. where the populace lost their faith and confidence in the Constitution? An America where there was no trusted, certain, and legal means to address conditions of poor governance?

Take that away from the segment of America that comprises or supports the Tea Party and option would they have besides insurgency? This is the situation the African American populace found themselves in; as they were excluded as a matter of status from inclusion in the good governance of the United States. Lyndon Johnson threw his own political future under the bus, a far more significant bus than the one "Ms Parks was on. He had the moral courage to pass three landmark laws that brought the African American populace within the circle of "good governance" and also with the voters rights act insured they had Hope.

Many Americans today are in denial over the civil rights situation that exploded post WWII in much the same way many Germans are about the Holocaust. Somethings are so horrible, so hard to imagine in the context of modern times that they are discounted as to how bad they were.

So, in Afghanistan, building equity and justice will take time, though we could get started on the laws and infrastructure required for both. Hope can come much more quickly; but begins with a new constitution. The current constitution robs virtually the entire populace of Afghanistan of hope; and discriminates against half as a matter of status. Does anyone think the Northern Alliance would stand for the current Constitution if Mullah Omar was sitting in the presidency with the power to pick a 1/3 of the senate, a new Supreme Court, every District and Provincial Governor and Police Chief; plus many more??

As to economics, I don't ignore them, they are a critical part of the equation. But people will tolerate crushing poverty if they believe that it is fair. But even the wealthy rise up in rebellion when the conditions of insurgency reach a certain point.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Council Member

Default You make my point...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I don't ignore them, they are a critical part of the equation. But people will tolerate crushing poverty if they believe that it is fair. But even the wealthy rise up in rebellion when the conditions of insurgency reach a certain point.
    Bob-

You make my point for me.

Globalization means that people everywhere know more about other people. So the folks who are in dire economic straights KNOW that they are there... and once most people know that they don't think it's fair anymore, because they see that the Jones (or the next tribe, next country, other ethnic group, etc.) have more than they do.

This is why economic issues will become increasingly important- like you said, it is hope! As long as you have "hope" in the form of increased wealth through your life and better position for your kids, you can be placated because you see yourself as moving up the ladder. You can picture yourself in the fat cat's place, if only you work harder. If you suddenly lose that opportunity... well then we have a problem.

Once you've given people a taste of this, you can't really take it away... especially if their neighbors have opportunity!!

V/R,

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Bob-

You make my point for me.

Globalization means that people everywhere know more about other people. So the folks who are in dire economic straights KNOW that they are there... and once most people know that they don't think it's fair anymore, because they see that the Jones (or the next tribe, next country, other ethnic group, etc.) have more than they do.

This is why economic issues will become increasingly important- like you said, it is hope! As long as you have "hope" in the form of increased wealth through your life and better position for your kids, you can be placated because you see yourself as moving up the ladder. You can picture yourself in the fat cat's place, if only you work harder. If you suddenly lose that opportunity... well then we have a problem.

Once you've given people a taste of this, you can't really take it away... especially if their neighbors have opportunity!!

V/R,

Cliff
    Cliff,

You may (or may not) be surprised to learn that those who live in abject poverty in so many places around the globe cannot empathize with the wealth of America any more than Americans can empathise with their poverty. Somethings are beyond comprehension.

I got my first dose of this as a young Captain standing in the Saudi desert attempting to describe my home in SW Oregon to the Egyptian soldiers and officers I worked with. Even when I finally got a tourist brochure and showed them pictures of the coast, the forests, the farms, Crater Lake, etc their eyes went wide with wonder, but they still could not truly comprehend something so far from the only reality they had ever known.

Fast forward to today. The size of bounties placed on HVTs in the Southern Philippines was (and likely is) a big problem. The amounts were too large. Tell someone you will pay them $6 Million for a guy and they don't get it. Tell them you'll pay them $6,000 and suddenly you have their attention. Like an inverse scene from Austin Powers. The first amount is too large to comprehend, the second is wealth beyond belief, but within understanding. Heck, we'd probably have rounded up all the AQ senior leaders world wide long ago if we had reduced the largest reward to about $25,000 for bin Ladin. It's not like we are attempting to lure western bounty hunters to go after them.

But that too points out how we have hindered our own efforts by not being able to epathize with the affected populaces where the base of support for such movements exists. Much smaller rewards and DA raids on senior leaders in Pakistan would have likely been seen as quite reasonable by the Pashtun populace that harbored them.

Instead we created this elaborate and intrusive construct that takes us farther from the prize every day. Crazy.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)