Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Were the Small Wars Council to become a going concern I wonder whether Fuchs could retire from his current job and support himself by operating a Schnell Imbiss Bratwurst kiosk in the Kitakidogo Social Club. It would gratify us old Ami farts from the Cold War to have a constant supply of grilled Bratwurst, Brotchen and heisse Senf. It would be a comfort to us old guys in our old age. Dad sad it was rough in Germany in 1945 but he wasn't there in '55, '65, '75 or '85.
Much has changed since '85. Back then, fast food in Germany was very multinational in Bonn, but not so much elsewhere. Today it's very variable.

The Turkish immigrants won the market share battle even against corporations with their small Döner businesses. Their beef/pita/salad based Döner sandwich got a little brother with chicken instead of beef when beef had a crisis in the 90's.

The other important fast foods are

Pizzas - more pizzerias in Germany than in Italy. Large pizza chains play a marginal role.

Currywurst with frites & curry/tomato sauce
Krakauer (another sausage), Nürnberger (small sausages)

Asia fast food; mostly chicken with rice and vegetables or some noodle fast food. Most are run by Vietnamese immigrants, even some "Chinese" restaurants.

Gyros - (Greek immigrants)

Burgers - McD and BK mostly (the only real fast food franchise successes in Germany), but the best burger I've ever tasted was from a butcher shop. The normal American-style bap for burgers is horrible, and the franchises never get the salad right either.

Roasted chicken half

Frikadelle (rissole) with mustard and bap

Finally, some salad bars and Subways.

I'm the right guy to write a business plan for people who want to set up such a small business with a credit, but I'm totally the wrong guy for running such a thing myself.

------------------

Back to Egypt; does anybody have a link at hand for a site that tracked how many people were in the streets when? It seems to be somewhat reduced to the symbol of tahrir square now.