Thread: Catch All OEF Philippines (till 2012)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default on bulacan

acostaraybies:

I do not know what nationality you are. But your bluntness indicates you might be American. Or at least in the Western Hemisphere of the world.

The AFP has many problems. Including its having been heavily politicized by Marcos. It also tasted political power, because of him.

Solving this problem is like putting back toothpaste into its canister. That is a tough job. And that is why many of the problems regarding the AFP have persisted.

But haven't you noticed? Several parts of the Philippines are enjoying an economic boom, fueled by the country's natural competitiveness in services. And also by the money being sent in by Filipino contract workers.

And that is why the Philippines is not about to go under. And it never will.
    Inspite of the AFP's faults which you have cited.

Yup, incremental progress is being made. The reality of the Philippines dictates this is the way to go.

As for Gringo? Well, what about Oliver North?

Does North's behavior and appeal speak for the entire US Army?

Like it or not, the insurgency in the Philippines is a symptom of the painful process the country is going through as it moves towards a mature economy and democracy.

Due to its history, this will be a long,uphill, and plodding slog.

But the Philippines does have its strengths and talking points. Better to work with these than to knock it down for its faults.

And so, you have been in my country for 10 years. So that means since 1998.

It still has not sunk, hasn't it?In fact, most parts of it are floating very well, thank you.

So please don't punch more holes into it. Plugging those found on Good Ship Republic of the Philippines is a difficult task. But inspite everything, the job is mostly being done.

I ask you to be patient. Please do not try to do to the Philippines what the US did to Vietnam. Abandon it in its most desperate hour when progress was already being made under General Abrams.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyme View Post
    As for Gringo? Well, what about Oliver North?
    Does North's behavior and appeal speak for the entire US Army?

Oliver North was in the Army? That explains a lot
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Default apology

Selil:

I apologize for the booboo.

But in the Philippine context, my statement would have meant, " Does he speak for the US Armed Forces?"

I stand by the rest of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyme View Post
    Selil:

I apologize for the booboo.

But in the Philippine context, my statement would have meant, " Does he speak for the US Armed Forces?"

I stand by the rest of my post.
    In the sense of American military politics saying a Marine is from the Army would be likely saying the finest rare breed Rottweiler is a poodle. Please accept the humor in which it was meant.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

I think the main problem is not the Filipino people but the Philippine gov.

The Philippine gov is basically a corrupt oligarchy in which power is basically in the hands of political, business families and reform to change to country has to come from the top and not from the bottom.

First the Philippines has to have political change then economic then social.

I think the Philippines is not ready for U.S. style democracy and I think a South korean/Singapore authoritairan type gov. but done right(developing and reforming the economy) before democracy. Marcos could have done it but he was corrupt. The South Koreans and Singaporeans were lucky to have Park Chung Hee and Lee Kuan Yu.

I also come from the Philippine and while I highly agree that the Philippines has tribal ethnic prejudices(Ilocano, Tagalog etc.) many Filipinos are patriotic in the western sense. Depends on the crowd you meet but many Filipinos think of themselves as Filipino first----tribe second----. This is more prevailent among the educated and the cities.

But when compared with the USA(and I have lived there btw), our ethnic groups live in relative harmony with each other(try walking and driving as a Chinese and Asian in Watts Los Angeles and you'll know what I mean, ). You may hear news in Mindanao but the Christians and Muslims live in OK harmony there too(I know of many instances where after fighting each other, the same AFP and MILF troops would drink with each other in the same bar while resuming fighting the next day).

As for self first.....I think this is very much prevailent in the world not just in the Philippines.

As for the AFP, the AFP is not as bad as it looks. The AFP has basically defeated the NPA, the MNLF and the MILF(while the NPA and the MILF still exists, they are basically emasculated though the MILF might be a future threat). If it was poor quality it could not have done this.

Also the AFP has poor equipment when compared to its neighbors since it does not have a major foreign threat or dispute(the Spratly dispute with China is laughable) and it relies on the USA for its foreign defense(USA-Philippine defense pact). Its equipment is good for its counterinsurgency situation.