I think the main problem is not the Filipino people but the Philippine gov.

The Philippine gov is basically a corrupt oligarchy in which power is basically in the hands of political, business families and reform to change to country has to come from the top and not from the bottom.

First the Philippines has to have political change then economic then social.

I think the Philippines is not ready for U.S. style democracy and I think a South korean/Singapore authoritairan type gov. but done right(developing and reforming the economy) before democracy. Marcos could have done it but he was corrupt. The South Koreans and Singaporeans were lucky to have Park Chung Hee and Lee Kuan Yu.

I also come from the Philippine and while I highly agree that the Philippines has tribal ethnic prejudices(Ilocano, Tagalog etc.) many Filipinos are patriotic in the western sense. Depends on the crowd you meet but many Filipinos think of themselves as Filipino first----tribe second----. This is more prevailent among the educated and the cities.

But when compared with the USA(and I have lived there btw), our ethnic groups live in relative harmony with each other(try walking and driving as a Chinese and Asian in Watts Los Angeles and you'll know what I mean, ). You may hear news in Mindanao but the Christians and Muslims live in OK harmony there too(I know of many instances where after fighting each other, the same AFP and MILF troops would drink with each other in the same bar while resuming fighting the next day).

As for self first.....I think this is very much prevailent in the world not just in the Philippines.

As for the AFP, the AFP is not as bad as it looks. The AFP has basically defeated the NPA, the MNLF and the MILF(while the NPA and the MILF still exists, they are basically emasculated though the MILF might be a future threat). If it was poor quality it could not have done this.

Also the AFP has poor equipment when compared to its neighbors since it does not have a major foreign threat or dispute(the Spratly dispute with China is laughable) and it relies on the USA for its foreign defense(USA-Philippine defense pact). Its equipment is good for its counterinsurgency situation.