Thread: Should Military Recognize State Concealed Carry Licenses

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don't know how relevant to the discussion this is, or whether it will change any opinions, but a couple weeks ago here on the Monterey Peninsula we had a captain (non-Navy type) who managed to discharge his concealed, personal weapon in class. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

If something were to be instituted, I don't think rank, age, or time in service would necessarily be good criteria for determining whether someone is allowed to carry on post. We've had Canadian Major General have a multiple negligent discharges in theater so it's not a 100% guarantee. I think some key positions other than MP should probably be armed for the sake of security and I don't think it's something that everyone should be able to do.

For every weapon introduced on post you're increasing the potential for an incident and that is something that should be reasonably mitigated against, but as some have mentioned there are also advantages and those should be weighed in as well.
    Last edited by IntelTrooper; 02-11-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Improper use of an indefinite article
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen