Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Just to stir the pot a little - the IDF allows the rough equivalent of CCW of personal handguns for qualified NCOs and officers and, in my experience, tends to deal with active shooter situations as a team effort of all armed people (LEO, military, civilian) in the area responding as quickly as possible to the situation.

Does this track with your experience of the training?
The experience I had with IDF instructors in Africa was similar. Their training concentrated on a potential D-Day and the Zairian Special Presidential Division mimicked nearly every aspect save perhaps respecting innocent civilians

Out of curiosity I checked out the current regs for Israel regarding weapons and found this.

Firearms in Israel

Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Inc.
P.O. Box 270143
Hartford, WI 53027

Many have asked about the easy availability of firearms in the State of Israel, and whether or not they can bring their guns with them when visiting or settling there. Some have visited Israel, or have seen photographs of people walking the streets in Israel carrying firearms.Nearly everyone interested in the preservation of the Second Amendment in America points to Israel as proof of how ordinary citizens, armed and trained, are a deterrent to crime and terrorism. And it's true! However,a quick glance at the rigid gun laws in Israel will show that it has far stricter firearms laws than many people, including myself, previously thought. Enjoy reading the translation as much as I enjoyed translating the document!

In liberty,
Rabbi R. Mermelstein