Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bahrain's Unrest

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    Americans tend to assume that when they speak, all the World listens because their words carry moral authority and their cause is right. That could have been true in the past, but I am not sure it is true today.
    Who assumes that? People listen when the US speaks (or at least pretend to listen) because the US wields financial and military power, period. Moral authority has nothing to do with it. There might have been some semblance of moral authority during the Cold War, based purely on being arguably less immoral than the other guys, but even that was shaky at best and could hardly be seen as a significant source of influence.

Sanctimony is by no mean the exclusive province of the US... the Europeans are much devoted to it, the Chinese drip with it, etc. All nations pretend to be morally elevated. It's mainly devoted to the domestic audience. Nobody believes them (except a few naive members of the domestic audience), and nobody should. People listen to power, not sanctimony.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Default An anecdote for your assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    Americans tend to assume that when they speak, all the World listens because their words carry moral authority and their cause is right.
    The first night of my visit to Cuba in 1997 a group of young people struck up a conversation with me as a I walked by. At one point someone started making some loud–enough–for–me–to–hear nasty comments about all of the things Americans were doing to Cuba. The young man I was talking to shot him a look and said to me (and him, of course), “Most of us in my country can tell the difference between you and your government.”
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default Bahrain police injured in IED attack

A BBC report which suggests IIRC this is the first IED attack on the police:
    Seven policemen have been injured in a "terrorist attack" in the Bahraini village of Akr, the country's public security chief has told state media.
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17663642

In my limited reading the police have faced petrol bombs aplenty and been injured, but have not faced an IED attack:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17076387
    davidbfpo