Thread: Knowledge Sharing and Collaboration for US Army

Lightbulb Knowledge Sharing and Collaboration for US Army

I'm working on a project to provide an anonymous, low-bandwidth, easy/fun to use site for the US Army to enable free discussion of professional topics--much the same as dialog here and on other non-dod type sites. I have some unfortunate restrictions, such as AKO authentication and being behind a firewall (to allow FOUO/SBU discussions), but otherwise a blank slate. I'd appreciate any of your ideas/thoughts/gripes to help shape this project. The last discussion on SWC I found related to this was a similar request from 2006 regarding BCKS. Comments from then still seem to apply, hence this effort.

Thanks in advance!

Can I ask if BKCS got any better in the almost four years since that referenced thread started?

Default Bcks

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    Can I ask if BKCS got any better in the almost four years since that referenced thread started?
    It has had a few minor cosmetic changes, thats about it. All the comments from that thread are still valid, hence this project.

Also, I continue to press for a completely unclass site that would allow for coalition/etc to participate as well. For now that is a uphill fight...

Council Member

Default The jury's still out

One of my class assignments this term will be a wiki collaboration. I plan to post a basic research document (probably one I've written) then let the students have at it using wiki software and standard attribution rules. Since this is the first time I've tried it, I won't have more until I see how/if it works.

How is this different from milbook, Facebook, SWJ or any of these sorts of collaboration, km tools? My challenge with a another spin off site is that we now would have another island of information. (like we have islands of share point today.). My recommendation is that we focus on mining the current sources, and improve them to meet the current needs. I would also offer that current bandwidth challenges would likely be alleviated if we worried about systems optimization and proper utilization instead of creating more systems. (caveat - I am a contractor often paid to build these systems - if I am arguing against a new system, you know we must be saturated). However, if you are really committed to this idea, let me know. I am at Jason.port on AKO.
    "New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become."

- Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Port View Post
    How is this different from milbook, Facebook, SWJ or any of these sorts of collaboration, km tools? My challenge with a another spin off site is that we now would have another island of information. (like we have islands of share point today.). My recommendation is that we focus on mining the current sources, and improve them to meet the current needs. I would also offer that current bandwidth challenges would likely be alleviated if we worried about systems optimization and proper utilization instead of creating more systems. (caveat - I am a contractor often paid to build these systems - if I am arguing against a new system, you know we must be saturated). However, if you are really committed to this idea, let me know. I am at Jason.port on AKO.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Primary difference from other DoD "social networking" sites is user anonymity, ease of use, and rewards for use. Only main reason for use compared to SWJ/Facebook/Reddit/etc is ability to go FOUO/SBU on NIPR and the site will be on classified networks as well.

YAS (yet another site/system) is one of my concerns as well. Something we have discussed is getting permission and establishing two way posting (a bit utopian, but some should work) with other services such as chirp, intelink, bcks, milbook, intelst, etc so we can both aggregate that content and hopefully postback/enrich external discussions.

Another goal is to keep this site simple and open--not just for ease of use but to keep bandwidth use to a minimum.

I'll shoot you a message on AKO.