Forgive me if this is being discussed elsewhere, but I did a search and couldn't find the relevant thread if it is.

I guess I should preface by stating that I get the good majority of my information about the war fronts from the mainstream media and that info that I get from the non-mainstream media centers primarily on Af-Pak.

My assumption, and I concede that it is innately flawed (but its all I got), is that the more I read about the conflict--whether it be Iraq or Afghanistan--the worse it is going and the less I read about it the more swimmingly.

In my local paper I can't remember the last time Iraq was on the front page (its been a while for Afghanistan as well), but they usually have a couple inches dedicated to 'The War Fronts.' Even in these few inches, I can't remember the last time I have read anything, good or bad, about Iraq. The documentary makers seem to be shifting their focus as well.

My understanding is that the political process is taking hold (I think the last time I read anything about Iraq was when the media noticed that Sadr had returned to Iraq, ostensibly to participate in the democratic process), violence is down and continuing to fall and the 'surge'/Petrean COIN strategy has been exported to Afghanistan after accomplishing its mission along with US combat troops.

I know it will take decades to really understand what the outcome of the Iraq war has been, but am I wrong to believe that Iraq is on an upward trajectory to becoming the 'beacon of democracy in the Middle East?'