Thread: Who will chair the Joint Chiefs of Staff?

Default Who will chair the Joint Chiefs of Staff?

February 23, 2011
    Who will chair the Joint Chiefs of Staff?
    Gen. James Cartwright expected to succeed Adm. Mike Mullen, but there is an investigation into his relationship with a female aide.

(CBSNews)

Before the year is up, there will be a major turnover in the leadership of the U.S. military. Defense Secretary Gates is telling anyone who will listen that he will leave in "months," Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is scheduled to retire this fall, and General David Petraeus is expected to rotate out of Afghanistan by the end of this year. Who will replace them is the most popular guessing game at the Pentagon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20035498.shtml
    Last edited by Ken White; 02-25-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Removal of unecesary bolding of text
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

I think the now P4 has the edge. The field continues to thin as the weeks go by. The Golden Boy will be the next CJCS now that the CSA position is taken by D4. It's a done deal.

Default Was.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    February 23, 2011
    Who will chair the Joint Chiefs of Staff?
    Gen. James Cartwright expected to succeed Adm. Mike Mullen, but there is an investigation into his relationship with a female aide
    Was an investigation. If you wish to use bold for sensation grabbing headlines, you should get them right...

I still think O4 is in the running. That was the rumor a few months back.
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

But why not CB4? [possibly humorous Chris Rock movie reference]
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Was an investigation. If you wish to use bold for sensation grabbing headlines, you should get them right...
    Since it's almost mandatory for flag ranks to have "unduly familiar relationships" with at least one (usually female) junior officer or three EMs, I just want to find whatever viral video she made...

The resulting investigation by the Department of Defense Inspector General found no evidence of a romance but did conclude he had an "unduly familiar relationship" with the aide and raised questions about Cartwright's leadership.

A heavily redacted copy of the investigation released to CBS News under the Freedom of Information act, concluded that "Gen. Cartwright's failure to correct behavioral shortcomings on the part of (his female aide) was inconsistent with established leadership regulations" and recommended that the Secretary of the Navy (who has administrative control of Cartwright since he is a Marine) "consider appropriate corrective action." Those findings were ultimately rejected by the Secretary of the Navy, cleared Cartwright of any misconduct.
    ..I'll bet it involves unauthorized uniform modifications, a trampoline and three jars of mayo.

"General, your friend wants to tell you about Precious Bodily Fluids again..."
    Last edited by AdamG; 02-26-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default Nah

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    ..I'll bet it involves unauthorized uniform modifications, a trampoline and three jars of mayo.
    Marines don't use Mayo, they're thrifty and buy Salad Dressing.

The Trampoline could be interesting though...

Not knowing US General/Flag Officer tea-leaves, I take it the letter is the first letter of the senior officers last name and the 4 indicates the number of stars.

P4 = Patraeus?

O4 = ?

D4 = ?

Quote Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
    Not knowing US General/Flag Officer tea-leaves, I take it the letter is the first letter of the senior officers last name and the 4 indicates the number of stars.

P4 = Patraeus?

O4 = ?

D4 = ?
    Correct.

P4= GEN Petraeus

O4= GEN Odierno

D4= GEN Dempsey.

The first time I heard it was in reference to GEN Petraeus when he was MNF-I, and then-LTG Odierno went by O3 (followed by then-LTG Austin as A3) at MNC-I

Default P4

If GEN Petraeus is going to stick around, it seems like it is going to have to be him. He accepted a 'demotion' to leave CENTCOM and go to Afghanistan and it might soon be time for the administration to make it up to him. Even if D4 wasn't already slotted to be the next CSA, I don't think that P4 would be happy with that job. I would be surprised if he wasn't the next CJCS or the VCJCS at the very least.