Thread: And Libya goes on...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default True.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If I recall correctly the Gloustershire Regiment received a Presidential Unit Citation for an epic stand it made in Korea. A retired U.S. Army field grade told me that the Brit battalions on his flank in Korea were solid as a rock.
    They were -- and so were the Australians and Canadians (who also had units that got DUCs -- or PUCS as they now are, 3/RAR and 2/PPCLI. Some other nations elms also received one) and which Regiment or Battalion it was made little difference. The French varied, unit dependent. The Colombians were pretty good and so were the Turks -- both at times tactically suspect but brave and bold in all things...

There were more, those were all I worked with...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    They were -- and so were the Australians and Canadians (who also had units that got DUCs -- or PUCS as they now are, 3/RAR and 2/PPCLI. Some other nations elms also received one) and which Regiment or Battalion it was made little difference. The French varied, unit dependent. The Colombians were pretty good and so were the Turks -- both at times tactically suspect but brave and bold in all things...

There were more, those were all I worked with...
    What about the "The Flying Cheetahs" may I ask?

2 Squadron SAAF (South Africa Air Force) were awarded the DUC/PUC for:

During the war the squadron flew a total of 12,067 sorties, most being dangerous ground attack missions, accounting for the loss of 34 pilots and 2 other ranks. 74 of the 94 P-51 Mustangs and 4 out of the 22 F-86 Sabres were lost.
    Pilots and men of the squadron received a total of 797 medals including 2 Silver Stars - the highest award to non-American nationals - 3 Legions of Merit, 55 Distinguished Flying Crosses and 40 Bronze Stars. 8 pilots became POWs.

More important than the political recognition is the following recognition from the then Officer Commanding 18th Fighter Bomber Wing - which is understood to be honoured to this day:

“In memory of our gallant South African comrades, it is hereby established, as a new policy, that all Retreat Ceremonies held by this Wing, the playing of our National Anthem shall be preceded by playing the introductory bard of the South African Anthem, “Die Stem van Suid Afrika”. All personnel of this Wing, will render the same honours to this anthem as our own”.