Thread: And Libya goes on...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Italian and I'm happy to see my fellow european small warriors in this Thread

One of the major problem that President Sarkozy has to eveluate is that of euorpean coesion. Italy is rapidly losing patience. We are threatening to call off our bases if NATO will not be in charge.

This operation, if mismanaged, could cause a real problem for for a future european strategy.

The problem in leading is to know your allies and where you have to halt.

To lose Arab League and Italy after two single days of operation is some kind of a record. For what? What can France by itself hope to achieve without a broad alliance (with arab partners)? I really don't understand the rationale. Libya could easily become a new Somalia, only with oil.
    Is France able to sustain by itself the consequences of her action or there is the risko of a new Suez?

Default And the plan confronts reality

From Der Spiegel:

The US wants to hand over command of Operation Odyssey Dawn to another country within a matter of days, but so far NATO has been unable to reach an agreement on taking control of the implementation of the no-fly zone in Libya. Turkey is leading the objections.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Default Libya: direct military hits, unclear political targets

An IISS Strategic Comment, which ends with:
    Political commitments to international interventions have often been undermined by the realities of war and by inevitable civilian casualties. Just as in Iraq and Afghanistan, it will be important to define the precise objectives and the criteria for success. So too will be the commitment of sufficient military force to achieve whatever goals are set. These tasks remain to be addressed.
    Link:http://www.iiss.org/publications/str...after-un-vote/
    davidbfpo