Sniper attacks are a rarity in Ingushetia. Running a check in World News Connection, there are no reports of sniper attacks in Ingushetia prior to May 2008. Three policemen are wounded in three different shootings in May. Several events occur from October to December, with at least 2 killed. On January 11 there are two sniper incidents, with one wounded and an MVD squadron commander killed. For February, on the 10th one highway patrolman shot at a checkpoint, February 16 one MVD engineer wounded, Kaur's article notes 3 events on the 18th.

This info is just what I could pull of the newswire, so it is far from accurate. But most attacks in Ingushetia have been of the bombing and automatic weapon/grenade variety. I imagine the fog is pretty bad this time of year in Ingushetia, that can't help much. I don't recall seeing many recent reports of snipers elsewhere in the North Caucasus. One notable incident is the assassination of the mayor of Vladikavkaz in North Ossetia last fall. Ossetian Jamaat claimed responsibility, but you never know.