Thread: The North Caucasus: Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Recommendations: Second Chechen War (esp. post-2005)

I'm currently writing a paper for my Soviet and Post-Soviet Politics class on Chechnya and the confluence of political/military circumstances that led to the fragile peace we are seeing today. A few years ago, analysts and experts almost universally predicted continued violence and instability in the region; today flights to Grozny have resumed and Ramzan Kadyrov is talking about building a tourism industry. My paper will examine why.

I've got a preliminary outline and a working thesis but am having trouble finding material on developments in the last few years. Even the more recently published books are of very limited utility (unless I missed a big one or my school library doesn't have it). Got some stuff from CSIS, the Carnegie Moscow Center, and a few others but I'm hoping the folks here might be able to offer advice and direction. The Chechnya section of this site's research page offers excellent background but doesn't seem to have anything recent enough to help with the meat of my paper.

Thanks in advance for any help I get!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse9252
    ....I've got a preliminary outline and a working thesis but am having trouble finding material on developments in the last few years. Even the more recently published books are of very limited utility (unless I missed a big one or my school library doesn't have it). Got some stuff from CSIS, the Carnegie Moscow Center, and a few others but I'm hoping the folks here might be able to offer advice and direction. The Chechnya section of this site's research page offers excellent background but doesn't seem to have anything recent enough to help with the meat of my paper.....
    Have you looked at the Jamestown Foundation's Chechnya Weekly? For a no-fee, open-source site they do a decent job of reporting current events (with a bit of analysis thrown in) and their archives go back to October 2000.

RFE/RL reports a bit on the area, although you have to dig for it on the site.

Also, if you haven't read through it already, the North Caucasus thread also has a number of links you may find of use.

Finally, you can view the other perspective at the Kavkaz Center