Thread: canadian private "military cooperation" in DRC

Default canadian private "military cooperation" in DRC

I was talking few days ago with a friend of mine on the situation in eastern DRC. As we were discussing the situation, it appeared to me that Canada is quite involved in areas were rebels (Mainly FDLR) are. As Canadian companies there are in mining business and are involved in rebel controled areas, I was woundering against what they did bargain their presence.
    My friend said: what do you think? Weapons and money, as all the others.
    But I have no evidence of it. Does someone have an idea about canada involvement in weapons trade in DRC, legal and illegal.

Thanks in advance.

M-A

Default Round up the usual suspects

Canadian, mercs, mining? Speak of the devil:

Friedland touts his African strikes, by Geoffrey York. The Globe and Mail (Toronto), Feb. 09, 2011.
    After striking it rich in Voisey’s Bay and Mongolia, billionaire mining promoter Robert Friedland is switching his focus to Africa, where he says he has made a pair of “Tier One” discoveries that he will soon unveil.

The new discoveries in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and South Africa will be “opening soon at a theatre near you,” Mr. Friedland said in a brief teasing speech on Wednesday at the Mining Indaba in Cape Town, the biggest annual African mining conference.

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    My friend said: what do you think? Weapons and money, as all the others.
    But I have no evidence of it.

M-A
    Marc Andre,
    I'm going to sit this one out because it is very likely someone will get caught in the crossfire.

I will however say that, back in the day, it wasn't just ammunition and money... There were eggs, diamonds, milk, women and other traded items. There was no exclusive trading country; everyone was welcome.

One of many reasons we (on the ground) thought the civil war would never end.

Too bad those at home were not listening
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Too bad those at home were not listening
    Stan,

One must wonder at times if they ever do listen...either to people who have been on the ground or to those who have studied the ground and have an understanding of the background and history of said ground...
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Stan,

One must wonder at times if they ever do listen...either to people who have been on the ground or to those who have studied the ground and have an understanding of the background and history of said ground...
    Hey Bill,
    I no longer wonder... gives me nightmares of seeing fire trucks flown in from California and winter baby clothes and dry biscuits air dropped from Germany, when we asked for water

I honestly give up !!!

Stan
    I agree with you: you can trade anything there. But I'm actually interrested in a specific merchandising: guns, anmunitions and skills.
    About guns, i'm not that restrictive: can be light or heavy or even RPG... Even mortars. About that specific item, some said few years ago that british based companies did help some lost minds on the border with Uganda to access some 81mm.

Bourbon
    I've a limited knowledge of the canadian mining companies. Is there some of them which are as diversified as Forest (Mining + gun)?

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Stan
    I agree with you: you can trade anything there. But I'm actually interrested in a specific merchandising: guns, anmunitions and skills.
    About guns, i'm not that restrictive: can be light or heavy or even RPG... Even mortars. About that specific item, some said few years ago that british based companies did help some lost minds on the border with Uganda to access some 81mm.

Bourbon
    I've a limited knowledge of the canadian mining companies. Is there some of them which are as diversified as Forest (Mining + gun)?
    Marc Andre,
    There's a ton of evidence and innuendo out there. I recommend you start in the Cité and "work" with locals primarily from the east. Keep in mind why President Kabila lifted the 6-month ban on mining in three eastern provinces (hint hint).

I almost envy you, but have had enough of tours in Sub-Sahara at my age

Thanks Stan,

Unfortunately I'm not in Goma at the moment so I have to work from internet.

M-A

Council Member

Default On Wiki,

Mining companies of Canada lists companies by mineral and name - all companies are not in the names listing. E.g., Vale Limited (formerly INCO Ltd.), which is the only one of which I have any personal knowledge - that is, of the "old" INCO (pre-2000). Vale is a Brazilian company, which swallowed INCO in 2006. S&C (where I once ruminated) continued to represent Vale Inco - as it had represented Inco for decades (as also the Canadian government on US Law and I Law matters).

Leaving aside the mainline companies (such as "old" and "new" INCO), "Canadian Mining Companies" are a very mixed breed of cat - some are not necessarily companies registered in Canada for all operations; some are not public; and some are pure fantasies.

Regards

Mike

PS: Anvil Mining (subject of Stan's "innuendo link"), on Toronto Stock Exchange, is operational only in Zaire (DRC) - 16K tonnes in 2009; but has a large "indirect" interest in Kinsevere Stage II, a 60,000 tpa project. Management looks Aussie.

My grandfather McCarthy (who started in our local copper mines) was always willing to blow a $100 or so on 100 or more "penny" ($1.00 or less per share) Canadian mining shares. I wish I had all the certificates - not that they'd be worth anything (except possibly to collectors); but what a great wall display !
    Last edited by jmm99; 03-20-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: add links

Thanks Mike,

Your story reminds me about the bound of the emprunt franco-russe my grand father had on the wall.
    It looks nice but worse about between 0,001 and 0,015 $ now. Not even the value of the paper...